Howdens Trade Account

canalsiderenovation

We are looking into prices for a fitted furniture for the office and my dad has kindly filled in the forms to open a trade account.

His local Howdens is different to mine and I'm just wondering how this will work in practice. Can I log into his account as him and do a design and get a price or should he send me as a 'customer' of his into Howdens and let them do a design and then send the price to him.

Obviously my dad won't be charging me any profit and will let me have items as trade prices, e.g. what Howdens charge him and I'm presuming they will be a lot cheaper than the prices we would get just going in without any discount but I don't know just how discounted they are!.

You can probably go into your local Howdens and get them to design it while you sit there and guide them.

Our local Howdens are happy to meet the end customer like that, as long as the actual order is placed through an account.

I have had no problem using my Howdens account at a different branch when I have been working closer to another branch.

• Like 1

It is a few years since I used them.

They were wary of blurring the line between trade and customer, and it is best to be straight with them. If you explain the relationship they may then tell you if there is any further discount. Not the sort of thing to shout out to the whole shop though.

They used to have 2 different price books, so the professional could hide some margin (or realistically allow a sensible margin and risk). That may have changed.

Also I once found that there were sudden changes in the discount structure, for example adding a £20 plinth (that I didn't want) caused a jump in the discount applying to the whole order, and the price dropped  a lot.

• Thanks 2

I had an account with them for years and found them good BUT I always got a better quote from elsewhere and they always matched it ?. Different branches work in different ways. My local office were very helpful (avonmouth, Bristol) but their centre Bristol office were offhand and not as customer focussed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 01/02/2022 at 15:09, MJNewton said:

I hope the author 'Andy M' isn't 'Andy Marshall' (Sales Director for TKC Kitchens)... ?

They seem good compared to the rest I'm about to buy my kitchen from them it's this place https://www.tkckitchens.co.uk/ourkitchens/ I asked if they have some called Andy Marshall they said no one with this name works here. Do you fit kitchens? can you fit my kitchen in Manchester?

14 minutes ago, Tony687 said:

They seem good compared to the rest I'm about to buy my kitchen from them it's this place https://www.tkckitchens.co.uk/ourkitchens/ I asked if they have some called Andy Marshall they said no one with this name works here. Do you fit kitchens? can you fit my kitchen in Manchester?

It must just be an unfortunate coincidence.

I do indeed fit kitchens from time to time!

Are you sure you want to go with TKC? I haven't heard good things about them, but I don't have any personal experience. Have you had a look at DIY Kitchens?  They are generally very highly rated (Trustpilot can be handy to get a feel for a company, particularly once thousands of reviews have been left as the bias of extreme views tends to reduce leave a good overall picture - which in their case is particularly good). I think they came out second in a recent whole-of-market Which? review (I think it might have been Ikea in the top spot!). I don't know where TKC came - not sure they were even in the lineup.

Edited by MJNewton