Building on a graveyard

Thedreamer

Sloppy journalist alert.

EXCLUSIVE: Retired businessman, 73, faces £100,000 bill after outraging neighbours by extending his house into church cemetery

NO HE DID NOT .  He took down the existing boundary wall and built up to what he believed was the boundary, Not INTO the cemetery.

He still should not have built it without PP but I just hate seeing sloppy journalism like that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I just hate seeing sloppy journalism like that

You must really hate reading the news then, as there is a lot of poor writing  about, especially in the online news sites where they spread the story through the adverts.

It is a bit of a technicality here though as he clearly has foundations beyond the wall, and used the cemetery land for scaffolding and work.

There is a large section of society who genuinely think they can do what they like to their own building.

Some of them see rules and laws as unreasonable if it doesn't suit them.

This extends to internal works in listed buildings, where walls are taken out without any permissions.  'My house so I can do what I like'. 'busybodies from the council/ neighbours.

Of course some genuinely don't understand the first thing about structures/ heritage. Others understand but don't care.

I see myself as the current owner of my house.

40 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

There is a large section of society who genuinely think they can do what they like to their own building.

Some of them see rules and laws as unreasonable if it doesn't suit them.

This extends to internal works in listed buildings, where walls are taken out without any permissions.  'My house so I can do what I like'. 'busybodies from the council/ neighbours.

Yep, seen many e.g load bearing walls taken out and steels inserted,  stairs moved, lofts "converted" all with no building control involvement,

There is a guy near here who started building a house at about the same time as us.  But his is even slower and not yet finished.  He was telling me how awful it was that BC wrote saying he needs to extend the building warrant.  He didn't.  They followed that up with letters saying he would not be able to legally occupy the house and would not have to meet the current versions of building regs to finish it.  Of course he has just ignored that as well.  It will be interesting to see what happens when he does finish it.