PV versus Mains becoming more appealing

Marvin

5 minutes ago, Radian said:

Just wait... and for no particular reason, the price of new PV installations will now start to climb - despite the continual fall in material costs. ?

Exactly 

Some of the projective savings are ridiculous 

More work for the legal companies 

This is definitely a reason to fit PV but I am not sure it is a reason to fit more PV to an existing install.

What I am seeing is the cost of electricity Vs the cost of Kerosene, is making a diesel generator set up as a CHP unit is starting to look attractive.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Radian said:

Just wait... and for no particular reason, the price of new PV installations will now start to climb - despite the continual fall in material costs. ?

I think we have had the large falls in price.

Normal inflationary rises can be expected, part of which is caused by energy prices.

https://www.iea.org/data-and-statistics/charts/evolution-of-solar-pv-module-cost-by-data-source-1970-2020

Slightly disconcerting they are focusing on gas costs when electricity is about 4-5 times the price. 

I'm currently involved in Hinkley point C, whichnis being built by EDF and the chinese. Original target 13 billion I believe, currently at 24 billion last I checked and projected for 33 Billion. 

I'm a fan of nuclear, but the costs get to us of course. 

I'm also involved in offshore wind heavily, costs also massive but we should see that Co e down over time but we were just getting major momentum globally which will drive price per kWh high for 10 years maybe. 

All in my opinion of course.

11 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

£11bn/GW.

If it lasts 60 years, and generates all the time, that is 2p/kWh (I think).

Strike Price was about £92.50/MWh, 9.25p/kWh.

Still a good deal if I have worked it out right (for EDF).

Isn't that the cost of building it?  then add on the cost of running it, fuelling it, decommissioning it........

Just now, ProDave said:

Isn't that the cost of building it?  then add on the cost of running it, fuelling it, decommissioning it........

Yes, but I think the running costs are relatively low.  That is the major selling point of nuclear.

Like @SuperJohnG, I like nuclear, but the costs soon run away.

The cost of decommissioning is also in the strike price, and who can tell what those will be in 60 years time.

• Like 2

Lots of hidden costs they don't speak about.  Maintenance costs can be huge compared to traditional generation  Example a coolant pump for a gas powered station is £xxxxx, the pump for nuclear has many changes in spec, which can double or more the cost.  Installed life is reduced due to safety implementation of failure in service.  Loads of extra safety measures that are not applicable elsewhere, which means productive manhours are very low also.  Then there's the decommissioning cost, which the tax payer picks up.