Knock this house down

saveasteading

1 minute ago, Gone West said:

At Faversham the average annual rainfall is 675mm but I much prefer Cornwall to the South East and won't be moving back.

Turncoat! How long before you can join the Cornish Republican Army? 

Aka the "Ooh R A"

?

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Who is this Eve Wilder?

The current owner, from Oregon, as described in the article. 

ProDave, do you think someone will buy that with building and negotiate with the council? Or someone will buy the building 'as seen' dismantle and take it away.

Do you think  £150k represent the value of site and the building ? 

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Not when the English get there.

Many English people move down here, most soon move back.

House prices down there over the last year or so would suggest many going, but few coming back.

I hope you are right, because i now cannot afford it.

2 hours ago, Gone West said:

Are you staying put? I overheard a woman in the local post office, when I lived in East Kent, say that she had moved back from Cornwall because it rained too much. Must have been a waste of money to move 300 miles for a year or so and then move back.

Im very much hoping many more do the same. Wishful thinking i think.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Most go back after encountering the midges. One season is enough for those soft southerners. :ph34r:

Re rainfall.  What i like here is it rarely rains for long.  I still have memories of Oxfordshire winters when the rain was lashing against the windows and it didn't stop for days on end.

My BIL was surprised how much it rained when he moved to Wales.  He should have asked me first, I have many memories of soggy camping holidays.

Hmmm. Midges. Not sure how that would go.

Weather, rain etc is a non problem really. But midges. 

Cheap for a reason!

5 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

ProDave, do you think someone will buy that with building and negotiate with the council? Or someone will buy the building 'as seen' dismantle and take it away.

Do you think  £150k represent the value of site and the building ? 

I think the site, a building plot in that area is valued at about £50K as there are several within a few miles on the market at around £50K right now.

So it becomes is the building in that state, with all the planning issues worth £100K.  If you could be sure you could keep it and adapt it to satisfy planning, and then satisfy building control then it might just be.  But my guess is (without looking it up and reading the PIP) it will have the usual Highland clauses about being traditional design, 1 or 1 1/2 storey etc so it would be an uphill battle to get that design through planning.  Then your next battle would be building control expecting them to approve a building that probably has no proper foundations (certainly none that they have witnessed at excavation stage) and a structure that they have not seen with the structure exposed.  So I expect the only way to get a legal building there is dismantle it and start again.  So is there £100K worth of re usable materials there if you dismantle it and start again?

It is all so stupid and avoidable if you had followed the procedure.

14 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Yes my browsing skills must be as lacking as my general knowledge.  I know that is her name and she is from Oregon, but I did not see anything telling me anything about her, what she did, what her wealth is etc.  The thread seems to be talking as if she is a well know wealthy person.

There are a few examples of housing in that area where the owner/developer has managed to persuade the council o depart from the norm. One of the better known ones is:

https://www.e-architect.com/scotland/lotte-glob-house

However, while I don't consider myself gifted in an artistic sense, I'd say the property under discussion on this thread might struggle to make the case.

4 hours ago, Gone West said:

Are you staying put?

Yes

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

How long before you can join the Cornish Republican Army

They are the ones that set fire to the wrong building in PZ I think.

Twats.

"An Gof was a militant Cornish nationalist group that made its presence known in December of 1980 when the organization detonated a bomb at a courthouse in the Cornish town of St. Austell. This attack was followed in January of 1981 by the firebombing of a hair salon in the Cornish town of Penzance (Apparently, the hair salon was mistaken for a bank the group wished to attack – the Bristol and West Building Society)."

Edited by SteamyTea