How to keep Exposed Frame Dry In Winter

Depends on the way the timber frame is going up depends on what would be the best option.  It makes little difference to the kit if it is bare timber, it will dry out in time once you get the roof and windows in.  If you can get the walls up and then roof on and felt fitted without having to floor the 1st floor then that is a bonus.  If you need to floor the first floor then you can use some temporary arrangements for the guys to stand on inside or use something like Egger protect P5 "Anti-slip, moisture resistant and hardwearing structural chipboard flooring that can be exposed to the elements for 60 days. Suitable for new builds, refurbishments, renovations and timber frame construction projects."  But make sure they use the D5 glue and plenty of it between the joints (12 bottles recommended for a pack of 66 sheets of 22mm floor boards)  The kit normally comes with a vapour protect layer which covers all the window and door openings which you can keep in place until the last moment but is a bit of a pain for preventing light in and you need to stop the joiners just cutting them out willy nilly during installation.  If its a bungalow then some of the above is obviously not applicable.

In reality there’s nothing much you can do 

Like solid built homes They get wet and dry  out naturally 

At least with a single built house You can get the roof weathertight quite quickly Rather than leaving them open to the elements like most of the big jobs 

If I was to go down the TF route I would make sure no insulation went in till it was watertight 

23 hours ago, bob the builder 2 said:

Hi

Looks like our TF frame will be going up in the winter.

As it will no doubt be exposed to wet and windy weather i wonder what the forum would advise in terms of keeping the weather out whilst we wait for roof / windows / cladding etc.

Many thanks 

I was in a similar situation just before the first COVID lockdown. I boarded and covered the roof with temporary membrane and then wrapped the timber frame in tarpaulins as I had months to wait for some materials. However my frame got very wet before I got a roof cover on and that's just expected. The effort you go to will depend on the work schedule and the tf wall buildup - i.e. is it a standard wall with sheathing on the outside or reversed with sheathing on the inside.

Breathing membrane over the top and down the sides. It'll go up fast and it'll dry fast too.

Roll the membrane straight over the window openings and don't cut out the holes. It will let more than zero light through.

Avoiding all the flooring / sheathing getting wet is the trickier bit. What is the buildup / when do the bits that "can't get wet" start going up?