Brick Slips Content

swisscheese

Call all tilers I'm looking for advice from "don't do it" -> "to great idea"

I'm looking for the pro's and cons.

I'm thinking of laying engineered brick slips as a floor tile, the idea is that they match the brick plinth on the outside, I'm thinking of running the brick slip from the "patio" (for want of a better phrase) through/under the sliding doors into the room. - the outside/inside idea.

It is quite a large area.

Has anybody done anything similar? Do the properties of a brick slip make this a difficult thing to pull off.

Cheers

On 21 April 2017 at 10:18, RichS said:

I would have thought a brick slip would be quite brittle and not really suited.

?. As brittle as terracotta ? 25mm thick terracotta tiles have been used since man 'needed' a nice looking floor covering ;) 

If the floor is prepped and primed accordingly, and these are laid in a good quality flexible tile adhesive then I really can't see any problem. These are suited to the most harsh environment, eg outdoors, so inside your home would be a pleasant change for them. 

My only reservation is how square and neat a slip you'll be going for, as an engineering grade slip will chip on any exposed corner / edge with ease and could soon look worse for 'wear'. I assume you'll grout them with a sand cement mortar to mimic the facade? 

If the brick slips have texture will it be hard to keep them clean? Can't imagine trying to mop up a red wine spill or get mud out of our bricks. 

Edited by Temp

Nick,

Thanks for responding.  I like the idea but have concerns as I have not seen this done in an engineering brick, usually seen in a more "rustic" brick floor approach.  The wire cut sharp edge and the grout/sand-cement finish does concern me a little, how easy would it be to get the clean finish, and still have a decent "foot" feel.

I have dome the liquid on the surface test, and as engineering bricks as expected the liquid sits for a considerable time.

Would laying these be more difficult/time consuming than a standard tile?

Personally I'd not want such big 'grout'  lines, if it were me. I have major doubts about the cut edges being comfortable under bare feet, even socks, as if their anything like the brick you'll have sharp jagged edges which often are proud of the finished main surface. :/

Laying should be easy, albeit time consuming as it's herringbone, but not rocket science ;)