Oven, Slide and Hide or Pivot down (stay out)

The other half swears by our slide and glide neff oven. I don't see the advantage but she loves it and does a lot more baking and cooking than me. It allows her (who would be a lot smaller than me) to get closer to the oven making it a lot easier to lift things in and out. I agreed to it and the higher price for an easy life. It's not smaller internally from what I see. She's now looking for the steam version as the second oven when funds allow she's so happy with this one.

Edited by Dudda

22 minutes ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Slide and Hide looks fancy, but surely just means you are going to lose more heat from the cavity since it will take longer to open/close the door?

Standard for me, less to go wrong too.

You don't have to open it fully if you don't want and also the fan shuts off when the door opens so it doesn't blow the heat out. A bit like the way a modern car turns off when at traffic lights and restarts automatically.

You really notice the benefit of the slide and hide door when your lifting out a massive Turkey. You can get right in close to lift it. 

It's no smaller than a normal oven. The door is pretty easy to remove when the glass needs cleaned as well. 

5 hours ago, Dudda said:

You don't have to open it fully if you don't want and also the fan shuts off when the door opens so it doesn't blow the heat out. A bit like the way a modern car turns off when at traffic lights and restarts automatically.

Yeah stop start is rather pointless too! ?

Opening the door for any length of time will mean the heat escapes, regardless of whether the fan is on or off at the time, and the longer its open, the greater the temperature drop

My in laws have a Neff hide and slide - they like it. 

SWMBO tried it several times, and also went to a cooking demonstration etc at a local kitchen showroom but decided to have normal Siemens ovens when we did the Kitchen a few months ago.

2 hours ago, MikeGrahamT21 said:

Opening the door for any length of time will mean the heat escapes, regardless of whether the fan is on or off at the time, and the longer its open, the greater the temperature drop

Yes that's obvious but having a fan blowing the heat out will reduce the temperature faster. That's the point I'm making.

One thing I do find useful, which might be related in some ways to easy access like a slide-and-hide door, is telescopic runners. I assumed they were just going to be an smoother-running alternative to a normal pull-out wire shelf but actually they are streets apart. Really easy to slide regardless of weight, and much more stable with no tilt like you often get with just the wire shelf. I'd certainly factor having those, more so than a slide-and-hide door.

19 hours ago, Dudda said:

Yes that's obvious but having a fan blowing the heat out will reduce the temperature faster. That's the point I'm making.

I don't know about the Neff hide and slide ovens, but when you open the door on our Siemens ovens the fan stops.