Advice on structural warrant provider

Zak S

Hi. Just wondering if there is good structural warranty provider who given the flexibility to source the alternative  material other than from only approved manufacturers? Not liking the monopoly some of these big players have and see if there are any alternative options. Thanks in advance.

Edited by Zak S

25 minutes ago, nod said:

Ours had no input in the materials or build 

Protec 

Inspection The roof from the ground 

Foundations from his car

Didnt have time to look round on the final inspection ? 

Thanks much appreciated. Entire insurance industry is a con. Things these giant corporation for their own interests!

It is what it is mate - a lot of money is spent in construction to get a piece of paper. Compiling my certification at the moment and it is all pointless tbh.

You just have to view it as a passport to claimimg CIL releift / VAT reclaim / release of finance funds etc.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Zak S said:

Thanks much appreciated. Entire insurance industry is a con. Things these giant corporation for their own interests!

We new that we would be selling so decided we needed one Some have it as a condition of mortgage 

In fairness Protec where very easy to arrange and recognized by the big four lenders Some are not 

The chap that came out was good to deal with Just wanted photos Over The two years We had three visits Each about ten minutes Little less for the final inspection 

Its unlikely that any of them would pay out 

Edited by nod

1 minute ago, nod said:

We new that we would be selling so decided we needed one Some have it as a condition of mortgage 

In fairness Protec where very easy to arrange and recognized by the big four lenders Some are not 

The chap that came out was good to deal with Just wanted photos Over The two years We had three visits Each about ten minutes Little less for the final inspection 

Thanks. What kind photos do the request? Do they ask for third party certification for example.

11 minutes ago, Faz said:

It is what it is mate - a lot of money is spent in construction to get a piece of paper. Compiling my certification at the moment and it is all pointless tbh.

You just have to view it as a passport to claimimg CIL releift / VAT reclaim / release of finance funds etc.

Yes that's true. But it does make building your house way too complicated than it needs to be and creates significant barriers.

1 minute ago, Zak S said:

Thanks. What kind photos do the request? Do they ask for third party certification for example.

Mainly footings   Drains 

Foundations 

Elevations 

Roof 

They know Building Control have already inspected 

Then copies of certs for gas 

electric 

Slates grade A

2 hours ago, Zak S said:

Hi. Just wondering if there is good structural warranty provider who given the flexibility to source the alternative  material other than from only approved manufacturers? Not liking the monopoly some of these big players have and see if there are any alternative options. Thanks in advance.

I think it's Building Control you need to convince.  Warranty providers will just want to be assured that the job's been done in accordance with the Building Regs application I suspect.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nod said:

Mainly footings   Drains 

Foundations 

Elevations 

Roof 

They know Building Control have already inspected 

Then copies of certs for gas 

electric 

Slates grade A

Thanks. Is Grade A a certificate for slates?

My view after going through the process is that they are not worth the paper they are written on. It’s a necessary piece of paper if we ever want to sell or raise a mortgage on the house, but I am very doubtful about a claim.

in our case we took out the policy after starting work on our retaining wall (we are building into a hill), and although less than 10% of the foundation of the wall was poured, they would not allow the foundation to be inspected and issued a policy at the foundations stage. All it did was push the price up a little and I guess makes an exemption in the event of claim. 

I would view as an indemnity policy at best.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Wumpus said:

My view after going through the process is that they are not worth the paper they are written on. It’s a necessary piece of paper if we ever want to sell or raise a mortgage on the house, but I am very doubtful about a claim.

in our case we took out the policy after starting work on our retaining wall (we are building into a hill), and although less than 10% of the foundation of the wall was poured, they would not allow the foundation to be inspected and issued a policy at the foundations stage. All it did was push the price up a little and I guess makes an exemption in the event of claim. 

I would view as an indemnity policy at best.

Thanks. Really appreciate the feedback. Which provider did you go with? 

11 hours ago, Faz said:

not really. 

They are for the mortgage company to claim against in the event of a structural failure resulting in an un-mortgageable property.

Otherwise buildings would be built cheap like in india/pakistan/middle east like cow sheds.

8 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

not really. 

They are for the mortgage company to claim against in the event of a structural failure resulting in an un-mortgageable property.

Otherwise buildings would be built cheap like in india/pakistan/middle east like cow sheds.

Like I said - release of finance funds ffs.

If you have ever tried to claim from one of these policies you would know how useless and overpriced they are.

8 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

Heard of the Building Regulations?  Nothing to do with the warranty provider bud.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Reading the above comments can say my last project I used Buildzone for the warrenty and for Building Control inspections meabt I only had to deal with 1 surveyor which worked well. I'm planning this time to get quotes from them and Protek this time around...well as soon as I have decided on foundations and build method ICF or trad cavity blockwork (both with using SIPS roof).

19 hours ago, DrewG said:

Reading the above comments can say my last project I used Buildzone for the warrenty and for Building Control inspections meabt I only had to deal with 1 surveyor which worked well. I'm planning this time to get quotes from them and Protek this time around...well as soon as I have decided on foundations and build method ICF or trad cavity blockwork (both with using SIPS roof).

I've just completed my first build with Protek as structural warranty provider. I would not recommend them. In summary their technical auditors are a nightmare. My out of pocket expenses due to delays in securing the structural warranty are several times what I paid Protek for the warranty in the first place. See some of my recent posts on the subject. 

Edited by Hilldes
  • Like 1