self-build , Suffolk

IanMcP

Hi All, 

Here we go ! Have planning approved for the attached. Plan is to be as Eco as possible without going full passive. 

The main house is new build, the existing bungalow being converted into a garage. 

Plans are fluid internally, it wasn't our approved design so changes will be made. 

GSHP , UFH , MVHR , seeming to favour ICF over SIP as I want to do as much as possible myself. Likely SIP roofing. 

Externally a mixture of zinc (maybe) , render and timber clad. 

It's off mains so waste plant going in. Full electric , sadly single phase so will struggle until we can get that ramped up. 

I'm looking to modify the designs to make it as off the shelf as possible and simple to build, for costs and my sanity ! 

What have I missed ? :)

Thanks

Ian

Plan.thumb.png.a638b8984aa32dd89d3003118386ba04.pngElevations.thumb.png.568b1440d7892295145a6144fc41c5eb.png

• Like 1

welcome! looks like a wonderful project and I look forward to following your progress.

one thing I'd say is does changing the existing bungalow in to a garage affect your zero rated VAT status? might be worth double checking with those on here that know more about VAT claims or HMRC themselves?

good luck with it all 

15 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

welcome! looks like a wonderful project and I look forward to following your progress.

one thing I'd say is does changing the existing bungalow in to a garage affect your zero rated VAT status? might be worth double checking with those on here that know more about VAT claims or HMRC themselves?

good luck with it all 

Still trying in by to figure out the VAT status. ??‍♂️

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Zinc is expensive and difficult to DIY.

ASHP seems to be the winner over GSHP.

You could get it priced in brick / block (by others) with a tiled roof (by you).  There will still be plenty of work to keep you busy.

Yeah zinc will likely change. 

GSHP - got plenty of space. Why go air ? 

7 hours ago, IanMcP said:

Hi All, 

Here we go ! Have planning approved for the attached. Plan is to be as Eco as possible without going full passive. 

The main house is new build, the existing bungalow being converted into a garage. 

Plans are fluid internally, it wasn't our approved design so changes will be made. 

GSHP , UFH , MVHR , seeming to favour ICF over SIP as I want to do as much as possible myself. Likely SIP roofing. 

Externally a mixture of zinc (maybe) , render and timber clad. 

It's off mains so waste plant going in. Full electric , sadly single phase so will struggle until we can get that ramped up. 

I'm looking to modify the designs to make it as off the shelf as possible and simple to build, for costs and my sanity ! 

What have I missed ? :)

Thanks

Ian

Plan.thumb.png.a638b8984aa32dd89d3003118386ba04.pngElevations.thumb.png.568b1440d7892295145a6144fc41c5eb.png

Take advice on the VAT front as I'm not sure it would/should qualify as new build unless the bungalow is demolished.  I would have windows with less mullions. Bi-folds are overrated IMHO.

2 hours ago, Adrian Walker said:

Take advice on the VAT front as I'm not sure it would/should qualify as new build unless the bungalow is demolished.  I would have windows with less mullions. Bi-folds are overrated IMHO.

Agree on bi-fold. Previous experience means I’ll change them. The design and planning was bought with the land. So I will change things to my design and standards. 

on VAT yes I think the bungalow may have to go. No bad thing. 

Edited by IanMcP

13 hours ago, IanMcP said:

Agree on bi-fold. Previous experience means I’ll change them. The design and planning was bought with the land. So I will change things to my design and standards. 

if you're going to make changes like that I presume you'd need to go back to planning for a minor amendment. if so, may I suggest something?

you seem to be in a very similar situation to us. we bought a bungalow that came with outline planning permission for a 1 1/2 storey house and full planning permission for a bungalow. we didn't want to build either but knew that planning were willing to allow a replacement building. So we got our own plans drawn up for the house we wanted to build and submitted a new planning application which also allowed us to live in the bungalow while building the house and then it demolish afterwards.

it seems to me that you're willing to design things around these plans to fit in with what you want but the whole point of self-building is to build exactly what you want and not what someone else got planning for. 

I would seriously have a good think about starting a new application with a design that you want. yes, there'll be more professional fees involved but, unless it's a build and sell job and not a forever home, you might be thinking 'if only we did it this way'.

just a thought.

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

if you're going to make changes like that I presume you'd need to go back to planning for a minor amendment. if so, may I suggest something?

you seem to be in a very similar situation to us. we bought a bungalow that came with outline planning permission for a 1 1/2 storey house and full planning permission for a bungalow. we didn't want to build either but knew that planning were willing to allow a replacement building. So we got our own plans drawn up for the house we wanted to build and submitted a new planning application which also allowed us to live in the bungalow while building the house and then it demolish afterwards.

it seems to me that you're willing to design things around these plans to fit in with what you want but the whole point of self-building is to build exactly what you want and not what someone else got planning for. 

I would seriously have a good think about starting a new application with a design that you want. yes, there'll be more professional fees involved but, unless it's a build and sell job and not a forever home, you might be thinking 'if only we did it this way'.

just a thought.

you are almost correct. Appreciate the points as that’s why I’m here ! 

the design is 95% of what we would do. The 5% really is the personalisation and change of materials etc as we go. I will be going back for minor amends but that should cover it. Things like materials haven’t been dictated on the approval so we have flex. 

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, I'm also in Suffolk.

5 hours ago, bellski said:

Hi Ian

Do you have ICF blocks already?

My ICF dream is now off the plan so I have sufficient Nudura for a 3000 Sq. foot house and double garage if this is of interest.

Cheers

Norman

IMG_8923.jpg

Norman, I'm having to submit new plans for lots of reasons, but if this is still available if they get approved then I will be interested, just can't commit now, so don't hold if you get an offer.

17 hours ago, bellski said:

Hi Ian

Do you have ICF blocks already?

My ICF dream is now off the plan so I have sufficient Nudura for a 3000 Sq. foot house and double garage if this is of interest.

Cheers

Norman

IMG_8923.jpg

Norman , it is of interest. PM me details. Although I’m not sure which ICF I’m going with now. Think I can be more self sufficient with durisol. But overall price wins so worth a chat 

@IanMcP, I'm not far from you being in Norfolk, i'm starting my new ICF build in the new year. Not as grand as yours but nearly 200sqm 

I chose the Isotex ICF for its DIY friendliness as I also want to do a lot of the work myself.

We are also making some changes to the approved plans like the external covering, i was intending to use brick slips but have given up on that idea as its a PITA, so considered render but now seriously considering cement cladding boards from James Hardie. I was told by planning to complete a variation of conditions application

Edited by Chanmenie