Can I stop birds from nesting in a chimney in a cottage due to be demolished without going on roof?

CalvinHobbes

2 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Hello, we hope to be demolishing in March and I am concerned that birds nest every year in feb in chimneys. Is there a way I can put them off without going on roof? I have a chimney sweep brush that goes on rods, if i leave it up would that work?

I reckon that would work, just poke it out the top and let the brush sit on the pot with the rods weighing it down from below - as long as it's dense enough that a bird won't go through the bristles you'll be alright!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 14/12/2021 at 12:41, CalvinHobbes said:

Hello, we hope to be demolishing in March and I am concerned that birds nest every year in feb in chimneys. Is there a way I can put them off without going on roof? I have a chimney sweep brush that goes on rods, if i leave it up would that work?

There are often two mind sets..

1/ To look at the wild life as a problem that interferes with your financial gain

2/ To accept that you are interfering with the habitat and make a serious effort to provide an alternative (during the build) and enhanced habitat once you have had your way.. development wise.

If you are inclined towards point two then you can look at providing a "temporary habitat".. enhanced feeding, stacking cut foliage, even pallets to encourage insects, to provide shelter, natural food for young birds and a safe space for birds and so on to dive into if a predator is about etc. A building site does not have to be barren.

Calvin you seem a point 2 type.. you have time now to act on the alternaitve habitat, supplementary feeding and so on. Take this approach and you will enhance the wildlife and not have to worry about the chimney.

Then when you finish your project you can enjoy not just your new house but all the wildlife that has been turning up during the build.. what more could you ask for?

Have to say ten out of ten to you for posting about this.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, saveasteading said:

As I  have the attention of like-mindeds I will repeat a question from some weeks ago that went unanswered...any ideas how to rehouse swallows and house martins when they return, as we cannot share?

why can you not share? --under the eaves is where they always want to build their nests-not inside your house 

3 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

under the eaves is where they always want to build their nests-not inside your house 

There were 6 nests inside the building last year (wide open doorways and skylights), and they are not coming back as a daily sweep will stop nest building.

There are no overhanging eaves. 

Edited by saveasteading

5 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

under the eaves is where they always want to build their nests-not inside your house 

Swallows generally build their nests on shelves such as beams inside buildings such as barns. They are completely different to house martins that build their nests from mud which is usually stuck to the wall and soffit.

They were swallows, with nests inside, on ledges and roof frames.

The nests are open 'bowl' shape.

Not great when the space becomes your kitchen or bedroom, and they won't shut the doors behind them.

We certainly won't touch them if nesting, but that would halt the work, , so will have to stop them doing so with a daily (or twice daily)  shoo and removal of that shift's pile of straw.

It would be nice to give them a replacement space but it seems they only like caves and hence buildings. Perhaps they will find other accommodation nearby.

Your thoughts are appreciated. I looked into this, but apparently they will be easy pickings for the squirrels and pine martens.

I am now thinking how many midges it takes to feed that lot!

Where should a swallow nest box be located?
Image result for swallow boxes
Fortunately, Swallows will use a special open nest box in an enclosed area such as a porch or outbuilding. A Swallow Nest should be sited inside a building which allows easy access for the birds via an open door or window, such as a garage or outhouse.

20 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Your thoughts are appreciated. I looked into this, but apparently they will be easy pickings for the squirrels and pine martens.

I am now thinking how many midges it takes to feed that lot!

I understand what you say but a suirrel could run up any sort of pebble dash  on a house anyway if it wanted

you could put a steel cone shaped  ring around tree below the nest site which would stop this anyway