Render system of choice?

Mr Bitpipe kindly let us look around his build a short while ago and we were very impressed with the render system he'd used - I think it was Parex if I remember correctly. Does anyone have any long-term experience of this system or can recommend a better one? Obviously pretty much everything looks great when it's first done but it's how it lasts over the years that I'm really interested in.

Edited by worldwidewebs

• 6 months later...

What is the substrate you are rendering onto? i.e is the building clad with a blockwork skin, or some kind of board.

If blockwork skin then without a doubt I would say cement made with snowcrete to give a white finish.

If onto some kind of board, then the render system has to be considered as a whole depending on the board used.  e.g in my case render onto a wood fibre board using the baumit.com render system. That was recommended to me as it's less prone to cracking than some other thin render systems.

I can't comment on life as it's been on less than a year.

A lot of these thin render systems are based on lime, and can't be applied at less than 5 degrees and it must remain above 5 degrees for a couple of days. That would rule out applying it in a normal January, certainly up here.

The Baumit website I did not find very helpful. So I'll give you a leg up.

The base coat is MC55W,  mixed from powder and lime based. then a painted primer DG27 is painted on. Finally the "Silikon Top" top coat is applied that comes ready mixed in a tub. You can buy that in different colours and different textutes. 

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The Baumit website I did not find very helpful. So I'll give you a leg up.

The base coat is MC55W,  mixed from powder and lime based. then a painted primer DG27 is painted on. Finally the "Silikon Top" top coat is applied that comes ready mixed in a tub. You can buy that in different colours and different textutes. 

Lol - yes, it's not the easiest to interpret, is it?