Floor makeup for electric UFH upstairs

djcdan

We're having electrics UFH upstairs. There is currently a 22mm chipboard installed across the upstairs. Three rooms will have electric UFH upstairs. Two with tiled and one with carpet. I contacted the supplier who advised either of the following options for the room to be carpeted:

1. 6mm tile backer boards, 150w mat and then 10mm of self levelling compound over the top.
2. 6mm insulation boards (taped to each other with duct tape, then an underwood heating mat and finally a HeatPak Dual Overlay system installed on top of that.

Both of these options will seem to  add around 16mm +- to the level of the existing floor before the carpet is laid. Since the floor is carpeted either side of the threshold of this doorway, I'd want the finished floor level to be at the same level once finished. 

What is the answer here? Thinner underlay in the room with the UFH? Or cut out the 22mm chipboard and replace with a 9mm ply and use  option 1 to create a solid floor?

26 minutes ago, Onoff said:

What does 2.6mm insulation board do then?

That is option 2.

6mm insulation boards.

But I suppose your point is still relevant, how much insulation does a 6mm board actually provide. Are you suggesting to do away for the 6mm insulation board?

7 minutes ago, djcdan said:

That is option 2.

6mm insulation boards.

But I suppose your point is still relevant, how much insulation does a 6mm board actually provide. Are you suggesting to do away for the 6mm insulation board?

Sorry, I took it as 2.6mm. 

Take the chipboard up, insulate, lay WBP (two layers staggered joints?), seal according to tile adhesive makers instructions, UFH, tiles.

Floor must be rigid enough for tiling contractor to warranty his work so discuss thickness of WBP with him.