MVHR - Geothermal Brine Heat Exchanger

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

That of course would be far too logical, so you can guarantee nobody will implement that.

Come on guys, with all the knowledge on here of how to reverse engineer, alter heating curves etc etc can no one work out how to do this on an ASHP .?.

8 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Come on guys, with all the knowledge on here of how to reverse engineer, alter heating curves etc etc can no one work out how to do this on an ASHP .?.

I wish there was an open source heat pump available where you could customise the control algorithms.  There are cetainly some daft things on mine that I would alter if I had the ability.

In the absence of that, to make a heat pump fully customisable, you would have to build your own controller, that means understanding how the refrigeration plant is supposed to work and operate all the valves correctly in the right manner.  I don't see that as feasible.

So we are left with the more sensible option of use the controller built in, and do our best to find the hidden or undocumented features to ger the most from it, and where it lacks a particular function, think out of the box for a way to work with what you have, to make it do what you want.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I wish there was an open source heat pump available where you could customise the control algorithms.  There are cetainly some daft things on mine that I would alter if I had the ability.

In the absence of that, to make a heat pump fully customisable, you would have to build your own controller, that means understanding how the refrigeration plant is supposed to work and operate all the valves correctly in the right manner.  I don't see that as feasible.

So we are left with the more sensible option of use the controller built in, and do our best to find the hidden or undocumented features to ger the most from it, and where it lacks a particular function, think out of the box for a way to work with what you have, to make it do what you want.

It isn't all that difficult in theory - the physics is well understood and fundamentally it's an inverter-driven pump plus a couple of valves, only one of which (the EEV if fitted) is in any way complex. Problem is it's a lot of work to do properly, and anyone who has the skills and free time would probably end up as a contractor doing exactly that for a living.