Building line Concern?

JKami84

Hi, 

I think the picture will explain in better ways I can. I'd like a double story extension where my red line is.

I am a corner plot but considerable distance to the adjacent road (about 13.5m). After which there is fence, row of tall trees, grass verge and then the road so i'd say nearly 18m until pavement on that side.

The house opposite does stick out from my house by about 2.5m already.

Number 5 (marked) already have a 5m double story side extension. 

The sun goes alone the bottom of my image (so extension would be NE facing). this impedes noone.

I've checked all angles, and they are nowhere near intruding anyone. 

However, the houses behind me seem to be forming a building line, which is a concern? even though number 2 sticks out a bit from me.

I'd like a 4.8m side extension similar to one already in my cul-de-sac (at number 5). 

The extension would hardly be visible from the adjacent road given the tall trees to the side and at the entrance of the cul-de-sac. 

Even with extension, there would remain 9m of side garden until the fence (so it would be using about 35% of the side garden).

Called architect who said to ask council the question using pre-assessment. 

What do people think? I have genuine family health reason for doing this. Not sure that is all relevant though.

image.thumb.png.a8735bb3b7aaac9d481d4ebe9b1c8e38.png

If you go pre app, then the determination date disappears and they can take as long as they like to come to ad decision all round my area. So I never ask for advice just apply, how can they so no when there is one at the other end of the same street 

@tonyshouse - The architect I spoke to said that for number 5 they do not have a building line on that side to consider - but it would help they have a 5m wide double story on a 8m house (and I want the same). I am hoping the fact number 2 (opposite me) already sticks out about 2.5m more than me may save me.

I'd just apply. Wouldn't mention the building line. Would cite house 5 as a similar local example. 

Planners sometimes like extensions to be subservient to the main house and this can be easier to build as you don't have to touch the existing roof/verge.

R3.jpg.e9003557ca9d96c65268cc6b9c37afa0.jpg

@Temp - thanks. Yes, number 5 being a 5m wide extension (we want 4.8m), would be one thing we would point out. 

Also number 2 (opposite), which I consider more as part of my estate and street than the houses behind me (not sure if thats just me trying to be positive) actually sticks out 2.8m from how I have measured. 

Other things I am hoping to keep to keep this positive and in my favour is the lengh of 'side' garden that will remain and the fact its quite blocked on that highway side. I also would design the building in a way it helps against noise pollution to the rest of our house and our neighbours gardens - which is the reason we are all keen for heavy tree foliage on that side anyway. 

My concern going to pre-application was just getting a quick-fire blanket negative answer which would be detremental further on. 

However, I understand why the architect I spoke to said to do it - to save over £1000 of fees. 

Everyone - I appreciate the responses regarding pre-application... but any more on the building line concern itself?

Regards

Edited by JKami84