Trimming a door to size: lipping thickness insufficient

ToughButterCup

Calling all door trimmers! Calling all door trimmers! 

Carpets fitted yesterday! Whoooppppeee . (Now I need to remove my boots going upstairs or else it's  ☠️  by the most painful method available to her)

Today's challenge is to trim two doors to size. 

Here's the spec for one of them  The lipping thickness  for the bottom rail is 10mm . Because of the new carpets, I need to trim off a good deal more than that - roughly 20mm.  The construction is wood or particle board.

Can I

• trim the 20mm off and leave the bottom as particle board 

OR

• should I trim (say) 30mm off and make up a 10mm batten and glue and screw it to the bottom of the door?

Thanks in anticipation ....  

(PS anyone know of some safety boots suitable for indoors (easy-on : easy-off) - already dropped the door on my stocking feet ?)

Can't help with the door trimming.

A second new pair of slip on safety boots for "indoor use only"?

I learned very early on when I went self employed to wear slip on safety boots, so much easier when you have to take them off in a customers house.  but then most of the time I am working indoors I do so in my "working slippers" (old worn out pair that are a bit tatty)

These will do (serious suggestion) https://www.completesafetysupplies.co.uk/protective-footwear-c68/food-environment-wellingtons-shoes-c143/click-work-safety-slippers-steel-toe-cap-white-p1328

You get some interesting hits searching for "steel toe slippers"

P.S  Note to readers of this thread.  Set your door frames high enough to allow for carpet and underlay right from the start (Sorry Ian)

7 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Set your door frames high enough to allow for carpet and underlay right from the start (Sorry Ian)

No Dave you're not bluddee sorry. ? Typical sparky SOH. Revenge on its way. 

I recon for ab initio builders - no experience of building at all - building your own house is the building equivalent of doing  PhD (doctorate)

Oh, BTW, them Work Safety slippas is reeely cool 

On the subject of doors, I trimmed one of mine into the particle board and just sealed it with coats of varnish, you never see it. If you plant on the bottom it will look different to the other edges so why bother?

• Thanks 1