Supply of 3 phase meter

patp

UK Power has just laid the three phase cable to our box. I phoned around to get a meter for it. Started with Eon, our current supplier, to be told they do not do them any more! The helpful lady told me that most energy suppliers are the same. She had hear that Scottish Power and British Gas were the only ones continuing to supply meters! I phoned both. British Gas seem to have blocked the option for "meter supply" on their menu. Scottish Power tell me that it will take 10 days to process the application. I need to be aware that the workers have a two week holiday coming up and that they have a eight to ten week wait for supplying a 3 phase meter!

We have to move out of our house as the buyers are threatening to pull out if they do not get in before Christmas. No power to the new bungalow so we will have to move into our fifth wheel caravan. We have the choice of going to a camp site or hiring a genny and staying on our own site. We could use the bungalow for a laundry while we stay in the "garden" aka building site. The genny needs to be up to running our 3 phase heat pump and looks it will cost about £175 per week! A campsite  is about £150 and there are no laundry facilities.

Any thoughts?

@Wumpus Did you, first have to open a supply account with them? That is what has happened today when I phoned them.

For future reference - UK Power are here laying  the connection from the pole to the cabinet. We mentioned the hassle of getting a meter installed and they commented that they think the fitting of meters will be something that they will do in future.

1 hour ago, patp said:

@Wumpus Did you, first have to open a supply account with them? That is what has happened today when I phoned them.

For future reference - UK Power are here laying  the connection from the pole to the cabinet. We mentioned the hassle of getting a meter installed and they commented that they think the fitting of meters will be something that they will do in future.

Yes, I opened an account as soon as I got a date from Western Power Distribution. They wouldn’t let me book a meter install until the supply line was in.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Octopus have given us a date. It is a bit confusing as it came via a "welcome to Octopus" letter telling us about their charges but at the end it said the supply would start on 24th December. I assume this means that the meter will be installed that day or before? I hope they make some kind of appointment ( @Wumpus ? ) to fit the meter as we are not living on site now and should, really, be staying miles away at our daughter's for Christmas.

41 minutes ago, patp said:

Octopus have given us a date. It is a bit confusing as it came via a "welcome to Octopus" letter telling us about their charges but at the end it said the supply would start on 24th December. I assume this means that the meter will be installed that day or before? I hope they make some kind of appointment ( @Wumpus ? ) to fit the meter as we are not living on site now and should, really, be staying miles away at our daughter's for Christmas.

@patp I wouldn’t count on it. The emails from Octopus are geared around switching from an existing supplier and they are not tailored to a new supply.

I still had to call them to get a meter installation date, once the supply cable was put in place by Western Power Distribution. In my case it was about 4 weeks after the “welcome to Octopus” email. I would call to check there is a meter installation planned and fix a date if not ? 

from my experience, I would imagine a meter installation some time in January I’m afraid.

I was told I could not book a meter installation until WPD had done their thing on site.

• Thanks 1

No reply to email so I phoned and spoke to a very nice Joseph :) Unlike us he did have somewhere to live but was very sympathetic. I told him that we are in our seventies and that Chris has been diagnosed with cancer. The house was sold and we were being forced to live in a caravan. He was very sympathetic and treated us an "emergency". An engineer was despatched the very next day but brought a single phase meter. He organised for a three phase meter to come the next day which it did and is all fitted and working! 

The electricians were very good and came the same day to finish off some bits and pieces so that we now have lights! Sockets also work but not the heat pump yet. That is Chris's job and he has been otherwise engaged lately.

• Like 2