Semi-final plans --- feedback/critique welcome!

RK6

Does it have a view from the plot?

It's a huge house but I'm not really getting any feeling of personality or big idea behind it, it's dug into the landscape but it doesn't really seem to make the most of that incredibly expensive move, then the ends which are most "exposed" are areas you don't really want in the most prominent bits of the site - I'm sure there's plenty of thought behind all these moves, it's just hard to figure out!

Like you've got the strange shaped roofs and then flat ceilings inside, if it's all getting dug out you can look at the volume of the spaces rather than just the plan.

I'd also look at having a shower/ mud room at the entrance on the garage. The other (guest) entrance is a bit funny too as your just plonked at the end of the table, you want to be able to control how far into the house some one gets, if the mormans ever come you're in real trouble ??

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, NSS said:

Funnily enough, having sold my Aston a month or so ago (someone made me an offer I couldn't refuse), i have a much more modest Porsche on order, and am keeping my eye out for an RS4 Avant.

No guarantee I get a build slot. Been a couple years since I've bought from my local dealer so they could well prioritize someone else. We'll see. 

The Testarossa is indeed an iconic design, absolutely love it -- and similarly I'm not a fan of red, which is why sourcing the right car has been so tricky. I'll post pics if and when I get the deal done!

1 hour ago, the_r_sole said:

Does it have a view from the plot?

It's a huge house but I'm not really getting any feeling of personality or big idea behind it, it's dug into the landscape but it doesn't really seem to make the most of that incredibly expensive move, then the ends which are most "exposed" are areas you don't really want in the most prominent bits of the site - I'm sure there's plenty of thought behind all these moves, it's just hard to figure out!

Like you've got the strange shaped roofs and then flat ceilings inside, if it's all getting dug out you can look at the volume of the spaces rather than just the plan.

I'd also look at having a shower/ mud room at the entrance on the garage. The other (guest) entrance is a bit funny too as your just plonked at the end of the table, you want to be able to control how far into the house some one gets, if the mormans ever come you're in real trouble ??

The house needs to submit to the Doocot as the prominent feature of the site, which in itself explains some of your points. What would you do differently to make the most of the underground/retaining wall type move? 

Funny you mentioned the shower room at the entrance as that's exactly what the latest iteration includes. Added for ref. This one also has dimensions. 

Oh and the Mormans won't get within 100ft of the house. The moat filled with alligators will take care of them. 

Screenshot_2021-12-09_at_18_23_33.png

Edited by RK6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, RK6 said:

No guarantee I get a build slot. Been a couple years since I've bought from my local dealer so they could well prioritize someone else. We'll see. 

The Testarossa is indeed an iconic design, absolutely love it -- and similarly I'm not a fan of red, which is why sourcing the right car has been so tricky. I'll post pics if and when I get the deal done!

No, I'm learning that acquiring a new Porsche is not always as transparent a transaction as with most other commodities. I look forward to seeing pics, hopefully of both.

• Like 1

Exciting! Very exciting......

I'm sure this is one we'll all be watching with interest. 

A couple of ideas, that I've had.

The up and down steps to the Doocot will limit it's utility in everyday use. People just don't like steps. Everyone will turn up at your back door. 

For an entrance I would build a dramatic tunnel with an imposing concrete brutalist entrance.  Leading through a dark curved hallway opening out to a expansive view of the garden. 

Inside the Haunting Remains of Secret WWII Bunkers

I would keep the Doocot but as an elevated office. Dramatically rebuilt half in stone with the jagged appearance of a ruin and the rest of the structure in modern glass and steel. Something like the below style.  You would get there through a set of angular stairs behind a "blast" door rising from the main building.   

the-parchment-works-will-gamble-architects-architecture-residential-northamptonshire-extensions-ruins_dezeen_2364_col_4.jpg

In Ruins: 6 Projects That Breathe New Life Into Dilapidated Buildings

Pin on architecture and space

I'd be cautious about the lack of privacy of the main bedroom/ensuite from the living area, it doesn't suit everyone. 

I would push the Pantry into the hill too. A food cave as it were. 

Perhaps a small sung somewhere would be nice for entertaining as an alternative to the excitement of the main area. 

What fun it spending other peoples money. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, RK6 said:

The house needs to submit to the Doocot as the prominent feature of the site, which in itself explains some of your points. What would you do differently to make the most of the underground/retaining wall type move? 

See, there's being a submissive element on a site, and then there's building something completely underground! ?

It seems like you've just said that's the solution but not looked at anything else (maybe you have gone through loads of options!)

It's hard to say what I'd do differently as I don't know the site or surroundings... or what your brief is...

but with your budget and that approach I'd look much more at the three dimensions of the spaces, like it's all on a level and all the ceilings are the same height, why not have rooflights which open up the ceiling volumes, like check out the ceilings on this one https://www.dezeen.com/2016/11/19/henning-stummel-tin-house-shepherds-bush-london-red-weathering-steel-pyramidal-rooms/ - or sink some of the public spaces so you have more height in there...

It's all very rational and rigid at the moment (in my opinion) just not sure there's any of your personality in it, does it need to be a total U with 90 degree corners? how does it sit with the existing topography? could you open out the shape into a less rigid form, maybe open up the angle at the garage so you've got more view from the public spaces...

• Like 2