Timber frame return

Pocster

Ok !

i understand most of this but have 1 point of confusion .

At the rear we have a 7m steel for the opening below ground . Next to this beam and block floor . As I have to build this small wall for the timber frame sole plate to sit on does the wall travel across the concrete beam or the steel ?

i assume the steel ! . Then insulated outside ; then clad ( with something !!! ) ; then rendered .

this correct ? Timber frame sits above steel rather than concrete beam ?

cheers 

Right!

On first photo. My question is does the timber frame sit on the red engineering bricks (which are on the steel) or on the concrete beam? (perhaps it doesn't matter!).

In the 2nd photo to the left under the incorrecty placed balcony steel you can see the start of the external insulation.

If I place the timber frame on the steel beam it will be almost flush to the back and so the insulation can continue over the entire rear face.

My question then (assuming this is correct!) how do I fit 'boards' on top the insulation but into blockwork (below ground section) and also into the timber frame (above ground section)?

So possibly (!!!!) if timber frame sits tight to rear on steel my question might just be how do you clad this (ready for render) through insulation and fix to timber and masonry ? (Mmmmmm, that is a simpler question!) o.O

IMG_5453.JPG

IMG_5454.JPG

Edited by pocster

Just now, Onoff said:

Htf does that steel work, wrong way up surely?

LOL!; ignore the wrong way up steel! ; thats for an 'unspecified' balcony..

Look at the photo again and you'll see the steel we are on about - with the unfinished thermalise on it (next to top layer of scaffold boards)

1 minute ago, pocster said:

LOL!; ignore the wrong way up steel! ; thats for an 'unspecified' balcony..

Look at the photo again and you'll see the steel we are on about - with the unfinished thermalise on it (next to top layer of scaffold boards)

You beat me to it! I just brightened the screen, zoomed in and saw it lying loose. :)

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You beat me to it! I just brightened the screen, zoomed in and saw it lying loose. :)

LOL!

Yeah; I haven't f*ck'd it up that much yet!

I *suppose* I could batten the entire rear - across masonry and timber frame; then put insulation in-between ; this allowing whatever type of "render board" to be fixed to the battons. This the standard method?

My confusion escalates because I'm going from external insulation below to ermmmm; internal/external insulation above!

I see on the forums lots say NOT to insulate in the timber frame voids! - but every example I've seen does exactly that.

It doesn't help that my side walls are cavity walls (don't ask me why!). The front? well!. I don't understand if I do blockwork to DPC does any 'render board' just sit on that?. BCO might be called again I think - but he always seems *unsure* - and goes with what I suggest which is even more worrying!!! O.o

Edited by pocster

Wasn't EVERY detail considered and DRAWN out for you by your architect / SE? Like the wall sections etc?

I thought I was the King of Plagiarism and making it up as you go along but you're doing it on a whole house scale!

(NOT having a dig btw).

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Wasn't EVERY detail considered and DRAWN out for you by your architect / SE? Like the wall sections etc?

I thought I was the King of Plagiarism and making it up as you go along but you're doing it on a whole house scale!

(NOT having a dig btw).

LOL!. Well the spec is so old (for example the original timber frame was 100mm); no timber frame company will supply 100mm; min is 140mm

Architect has "gone" (not because of me or my build!). So as the timber frame is *different* to original spec; I am making it up as I go along!

But lots of details weren't specified at all - like in another thread to make the 'nib' or the balcony (for that I simply got a steel and thats it!). Worry about the balcony later!

You see the fun I'm having now yes?

2 hours ago, Steptoe said:

This might be a really stupid question,

But, as all your measurements have been designed to a 100mm frame, how will that work now that you are adding an extra 40mm everywhere?

Exactly !

i only as far as I can tell have 1 issue due to 40mm extra needed 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Are those beams sat on the reinforced concrete ..?? If so, how will you insulate then bottom wall ..??

need a lot more photos here ..!

The reinforced concrete wall and up to beam level is insulated 150mm on the outside .