Commissioning ASHP

eandg

We've been delayed far longer than expected which means we're up against it to get ASHP in and commissioned by the end of March to get cashback/RHI. Looking at our programme and cashflow just now and wondering if we need UFH (and screed) in to get it commissioned or can we do so without connecting up?

1 hour ago, ReedRichards said:

Your MCS-accredited installer needs to sign-off on the installation before you can make an RHI claim.  They are the person who can answer your question authoritatively.  

Thanks (and on my list for tomorrow). 

I believe you won't be able to get the RHI unless the whole dwelling has had a completion certificate from building control and has an EPC.

It's not just about getting the heating/dhw/ASHP commissioned.

There should be a new system replacing the RHI (£5000 per install) which you may be eligible for but it is all uncertain at the moment and even the ASHP installers/suppliers don't know how it will pan out yet.

• Like 1

I am in a similar situation, I have mine commissioned - According to the Website you need 1) Bank account details]  2) an EPC certificate  [number], and 3) the MCS Certificate. 

I am assured you do not need a completion certificate from BC. But will let you know when I apply, shortly.

• Like 1

We'll miss it by about 2 months, disappointing... But maintaining perspective vs rest of the project! Still hoping & tracking the £5k replacement & what hoops will need to be jumped through to make a go for it!  

I wonder if you could get the ASHP installed with a plate heat exchanger and a buffer cylinder - with nothing connected to the other side of it - so that the installation could nevertheless be completed, assuming there is electricity available?

8 minutes ago, J1mbo said:

I wonder if you could get the ASHP installed with a plate heat exchanger and a buffer cylinder - with nothing connected to the other side of it - so that the installation could nevertheless be completed, assuming there is electricity available?

I think there was a thread where someone wanted to fit PV modules to their new build roof, but not connect them, in the hope the SAP/EPC would be improved.

Let's not cheat the system, even in jest.

On 05/12/2021 at 15:53, eandg said:

We've been delayed far longer than expected which means we're up against it to get ASHP in and commissioned by the end of March to get cashback/RHI. Looking at our programme and cashflow just now and wondering if we need UFH (and screed) in to get it commissioned or can we do so without connecting up?

Its a days job to fit an ASHP and a day for the hot water cylinder and plumbing to connect the two.. You could fit everything, including the buffer tank and UFH manifolds now. Just close the valves to the manifolds and commission the ASHP and hot water side. In a few (many!) months time when you're ready, commission the UFH side.

Edited by Triassic
typo