Libel/defamatory comments on planning application

Omnibuswoman

16 hours ago, Omnibuswoman said:

The average age in the village is considerably above ours, so I have had the same thought. We’ve potentially another 40-50 years to enjoy there, long after the naysayers are pushing up the daisies. 

Get your own back by flaunting your youth and vitality. Go for a daily jog around the village in your best gym bunny outfit then stop outside the houses of the evil ones, plonk your ghetto blaster down and do a 10 minute step routine to Eye of the Tiger at full volume. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We built in a small village/conservation area. Before we submitted our planing application I called up both neighbours and the chair of the parish council.  I asked if I could drop in one evening to introduce myself and show them our plans. I arranged to visit each individually at their house as I didn't want to be out numbered. In the end everyone was welcoming and we spent more time talking about our families and the local school and village life in general. Even then one neighbour objected. The plot already had PP for a house and our proposal moved it further away so i've no idea why they objected. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Temp said:

I arranged to visit each individually at their house as I didn't want to be out numbered. In the end everyone was welcoming and we spent more time talking about our families and the local school and village life in general

Respect. Very clever. Sniper, not a machine gunner.

To those you visited, the agenda was not merely  planning: it was about your 'fit' with their values. Once you'd passed the values test, it will have been all downwind sailing.  Bet you dressed carefully for the event, turned up bang on  time.... . 

Wish I'd had the guts to the same.  Still, look at it this way, I had the joy of peesing them all off and getting permission. 

• Like 2

On 05/12/2021 at 18:12, Omnibuswoman said:

I’ve asked the council to remove offensive stuff

Council officers typically have too little time to chew on all the issues and come to a reasonable decision on relevant grounds. Anyone who makes zero demands on their time is their friend. Objectors who spout off without reason introduce more work for the officer, who has to show that the objection was at least read before approval was issued. 

Applicants who simply let unjustified objections flow by without requiring action from the officer are likely to be aided by objections, paradoxically. Because the long-suffering applicant is the only one making no demands on the officer's time. Only those objections which are firmly based in the development plan or other material considerations need be shot down by the applicant, if at all. Often officers will do it for the applicant, rather than issue a refusal that allows room for an appeal. Officers are merely trying to guess how an appeal might go, and to issue decisions accordingly.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Omnibuswoman said:

Anyway, good news. The council are going to remove the offensive comments. 

Damn, never got a chance to see what they said.

"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

Oscar Wilde

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Damn, never got a chance to see what they said.

"There is only one thing in life worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

Oscar Wilde

Don't worry Tea, once we have moved to Cornwall, I'm sure the local grapevine will eventually bring all salacious gossip your way!!  ?

On 04/12/2021 at 21:40, Johnnyt said:

An objector had the suggested the motivation for our application was pecuniary gain and we were using my wife's disability to further our cause rather building the dwelling for her particular needs.

I strongly objected to the council and asked them to remove the offending and discriminatory comments which they ignored until my appeal was presented.

Needless to say, I used the LPA's inaction to demonstrate their unreasonable behaviour to the planning inspector in our cost application, which no doubt help paint the picture of the journey we had with the counsel.

It is referenced in our costs award decision, see attached, paras 6 and 12

PPG guidance states:

Paragraph: 033 Reference ID: 16-033-20140306
“Can costs be claimed for the period during the determination of the
planning application?

No, but all parties are expected to behave reasonably throughout the planning process.
Although costs can only be awarded in relation to unnecessary or wasted expense at
the appeal or other proceeding, behaviour and actions at the time of the planning
application can be taken into account in the Inspector’s consideration of whether or
not costs should be awarded…”

Costs Decision - 3198387[100338].pdf 118.94 kB · 31 downloads

Thanks for sharing and most importantly challenging how you’d been treated!

On 07/12/2021 at 16:19, Omnibuswoman said:

Anyway, good news. The council are going to remove the offensive comments. 

Well Done and pleased you have got them sorted.

I actually think Jealousy is what drives peoples cynicism, defensive behaviour and down right stupidness. Rarely is it personal although I know very unpleasant. 

I hope the planning goes through relatively swiftly for you. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Shire2020 said:

Well Done and pleased you have got them sorted.

I actually think Jealousy is what drives peoples cynicism, defensive behaviour and down right stupidness. Rarely is it personal although I know very unpleasant. 

I hope the planning goes through relatively swiftly for you. 

+1, nimbyism

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I applied to build two flats on a corner plot that I had run as a car sales site for fifteen years. A neighbour that I had been on very friendly terms with the whole time for some reason decided he didn’t like it.

First of all he told the planners the site had previously been a petrol station (it never had and a desktop historical survey proved it ) but the planners made me have a contaminated land survey ‘just in case’ £3500

Then he objected to four windows overlooking his house (the other side of the road) so we took them out of the plan.

Then after they passed it he had a heart attack (with all the stress he had worked up ?) and died.

I let his family use my site as parking for his funeral (I pretended that I didn’t know it had been him stirring up all the objections)

My architect had a site meeting with the planners and put the windows back in and we duly built the flats and sold them.

You just have to try and ignore the objectors as most of their objections have no basis in planning law.

It helps to put professionals in between you and the objectors , the pros will usually know the planners anyway.

(Having your main objector drop dead is obviously quite advantageous) 

paul

Edited by paul evenden
Spelling
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, paul evenden said:

most of their objections have no basis in planning law.

Quite  right, so why did you take the windows out? I had a similar neighbour and at appeal he was told he had no valid reason to object (he has since gone bankrupt and had to move ?).

We took them out as the architect said we could just put them back later as a minor revision on the say so of the officer on site.

Which is what we did.

Went from a velux to a proper window on the other side too as you are allowed to overlook kitchens and bathrooms as they are not ‘habitable rooms’ apparently.

(Still put the velux in as well though in case of a future attic conversion)

Paul