Plaster pops on new build

DeeCeeaitch

Where each screw head pops, clean the cross out of the screw and see if the screw can be tightened. If so, it’s a case of the fixing not having been driven home properly during the installation of the boards.

I’ve done turnkey projects on both timber frame ( which have all gotten soaking wet at some stage ) and ICF builds, and none have had any more than the obligatory 2 or 3 screw heads pop. 16 is indicative of the board screws having not been driven fully home. 
FYI, it’s pointless fist filling over these, as the pops are caused by movement. Either tighten the screw before filling, or take it out and re set the screw 25mm away from where it can out to get a nice fresh bit of purchase. 

17 minutes ago, DeeCeeaitch said:

Quick question - who is responsible for plaster pops on new builds - one year in and i have had to repair about 16 plaster pops - the builder is saying its my responsibility to repair them as it is just settling.

Are they on screw heads?

The issue might be uneven joists?  If the PB is not flat to the joist when screwed, the screw will bend the PB towards the joist.  It will sit there like a wound up spring, and movement as someone walks above may pop the screw through the board.  It may not be the plasterers fault.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, DeeCeeaitch said:

builder is saying its my responsibility to repair them as it is just settling.

I have a couple on my build which I sorted myself but snagging is usually the builders responsibility (well I would have done if I was the builder).

This is snagging and should be undertaken by the seller under warranty.  It can be caused by uneven or incorrectly fitted joists, shrinkage, lack of support for the boards (such as additional noggins required) or insufficient plasterboard screws.

• Like 3

Second as snagging. A proper bastard though as 2 trades need to come back though causing a further trail of destruction behind them.

This is the stuff I hate as a developer - that is why it is best to try and do it right the first time around!

I have seen these problems a lot, sometimes due to using too long screws or not using an application gun 

my remedy is to put a new fixing in next to the problem, oversink the problem one or remove, refill, onetime is fastest 

29 years as a builder only ever used 30mm plasterboard nails on ceilings . Very occasional poppers on my own house three only 

I did retire nearly 20 years ago 

1 hour ago, tonyshouse said:

only ever used 30mm plasterboard nails on ceilings

I read this too, if the screws are longer the timber can shrink and the longer screws are deeper in the wood leading to popping!

• Thanks 1