Smart sockets - any experience?

cbk

Hi guys, 

I'm needing some help to figure out how to make the most of smart wiring for my new build.  Network I think is all sorted.  Where I'm getting stuck is how to make the most of power circuits.  Favouring the Loxone system for lighting/heating/security/audio.  But not found a neat solution for control of sockets - I need option to control selected outlets for lighting - table lights, xmas lights etc. where i need ability to schedule on/off etc.  I don't like the idea of stand alone plug in smart outlets and trying to find an integral option  for the sockets.  I've looked at various Smart sockets that seem to have the required features but trying to avoid multiple systems/apps with multiple control points.  Anybody found a way to connect all these together in a common interface?

3 minutes ago, cbk said:

I need option to control selected outlets for lighting - table lights, xmas lights etc. where i need ability to schedule on/off etc

i) 5A radial circuit connected to Loxone relay or dimmer.

ii) Loxone nano relay local to socket. 

iii) Shelly (or similiar) in socket back-box.

iv) Smart plug

v) Shelly (or similiar) inline in appliance lead.

vi) Smart bulbs.

If you are using Loxone i) and ii) will be the simplest approach.  That said, with the other options you can still bring everything together under Loxone, you just need to prodcuts that you can integrate with via HTTP call.  Doable, just an extra hoop of two to jump through.

• Like 1

That's a good list from Dan.

I was going to do 5A sockets but working with a lighting designer meant I was confident the installed lighting was enough that we didn't need it. The main use case is moving furniture around and finding an extra table lamp or whatever would be useful, chances are I wouldn't have a 5A outlet in the right location anyway

Instead I have some WiFi smart light bulbs I can control directly from Loxone. This means any old mains socket can become an extra lighting location all controlled  from the main room light switch (or night time automation)

I also have some plugin switches e.g. for the Christmas tree lights.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just bought a Homepod mini and and Nanoleaf bulb and Eve Energy smartplug as an experiment to see how good the new Thread wireless standard is. In short I have found it excellent - extremely quick to respond and very consistent. It has made my mind up that this will be the first choice for smarthome stuff in new project. What is needed though is a smart plug socket that is Thread enabled so it removes the need to plug in the smartplug and then another plug into that.

Anyone know if there are UK Thread enabled smart sockets available right now?

9 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Why don't they just make a plug that you can wire your appliance to.

Great idea - why make a wall wart that you have to plug your table lamp into when you could just have a smart plug.

Surely there's some on the market.

Simon