pocster

HA after my demise

Recommended Posts

Today SWMBO wanted to talk about the HA.

Actually she didn’t want to talk about it but was more concerned in event of my death how would she sort out the audio streamer or light automation etc. Etc.

This got my thinking . Perhaps I should have a “ I’m alive “ switch which I must push at least every 48 hours . In the event of not pushing it I.e assume my untimely demise I can have a nice script which controls the HA and reeks havoc . Kind of like Julie Christie in demon seed but no babies .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don;t have HA but just having an ASHP to heat your house is "non standard" as far as most plumbers and electricians are concerned, so following on from your concern, I am planning to write a "home manual" detailing exactly how the ASHP is wired (including a few unconventional tweaks) including circuit diagrams etc, so that if it should go wrong in the future and I am not here to fix it, someone else might stand a chance of understanding it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This was one of the reasons that our Jeremy changed his software driven home made weather compensating heating controls to a single room stat, no one else would understand it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Then when I die my legacy of ropey software and leaking glazing will live on!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s why you produce an O&M manual in the commercial world, details parts, suppliers, contact info etc

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our original home, pre demolition, had some very 'interesting' service configurations. Only when the place was being pulled down did some of them finally make sense. Thank goodness they did not have home brew automation in the 1950s.

 

Does make a serious point, even our very vanilla approach to services in the new build (no automation here) would still require some explaining to the next occupant wrt heating, lighting, ventilation, internet etc.

 

Bought 6 Ikea motorised internal blinds for our sliders (by a stroke of genius the internal reveal is exactly* 3x the width of their widest blind). Was relatively easy to set up their home automation (once the gateway was left overnight to get a s/w update) and now Alexa happily moves them all up and down on command.

 

*well, 5mm out on one side but nothing a bit of penknife on plasterboard couldn't sort.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a "pocster" script must be developed to attempt to maintain services in my absence . I'll even get it to post on the forum. Be like, I never left. 100's of years from now I'll still be posting ( or my script will ) - perhaps someone will query the date I joined though....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, pocster said:

Kind of like Julie Christie in demon seed but no babies .

 

Not fair! First thing I thought of when I read the title and saw it was you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

 

Not fair! First thing I thought of when I read the title and saw it was you.

Oh ok. My HA can impregnate some girlie. Who shall we choose?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, pocster said:

I think a "pocster" script must be developed

 

Or a complete new language, Pocsbian has a nice ring to it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Google have an 'Google's Inactive Account Manager'. In this it allows you transfer over what you want to your next of kin, eg all your photos, google drive, emails, etc.

 

I've a 'house' folder in google drive that has a all of the data sheets and information for the different things. It was the folder I used as we renovated so contains everything from the radon sumps and their locations at the bottom all the way to the ridge capping and rooflights at the top. The folder structure is CI-Sfb (https://www.ribacpd.com/subjects.aspx) which we use at work and as an architect I'm used to 'Safety Files' and 'Building Manuals' that are handed over to the clients at the end of a project. For our own house I've taken it a bit further in that it contains all the data sheets and warranties of appliances like cookers, hobs, washing machines, etc that are often client supplied and the builder wouldn't include. It also contains a copy of the planing application and all planning correspondents, the energy, PHPP and u-value analysis and a copy of all legal folios, land registry maps, certificate of compliance, etc.

 

Basically everything to maintain, run or sell the property if I were to pass.

 

screenshot.jpg.0189e733251c3b2d9cab77847942dad8.jpg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

 

Or a complete new language, Pocsbian has a nice ring to it...

YES!

 

It can be completely incompatible with everything else. Flakey, frequent crashes. Updates when it wants ,causing issues at every opportunity .

Lock up until PayPal payment is made. Then years later decide on a new version which is incompatible with previous versions.

It will be the beginning of a new era for mankind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Dudda said:

Google have an 'Google's Inactive Account Manager'. In this it allows you transfer over what you want to your next of kin, eg all your photos, google drive, emails, etc.

 

I've a 'house' folder in google drive that has a all of the data sheets and information for the different things. It was the folder I used as we renovated so contains everything from the radon sumps and their locations at the bottom all the way to the ridge capping and rooflights at the top. The folder structure is CI-Sfb (https://www.ribacpd.com/subjects.aspx) which we use at work and as an architect I'm used to 'Safety Files' and 'Building Manuals' that are handed over to the clients at the end of a project. For our own house I've taken it a bit further in that it contains all the data sheets and warranties of appliances like cookers, hobs, washing machines, etc that are often client supplied and the builder wouldn't include. It also contains a copy of the planing application and all planning correspondents, the energy, PHPP and u-value analysis and a copy of all legal folios, land registry maps, certificate of compliance, etc.

 

Basically everything to maintain, run or sell the property if I were to pass.

 

screenshot.jpg.0189e733251c3b2d9cab77847942dad8.jpg

BUT!

 

If I follow this route for documents you are expecting my SWMBO to find and navigate herself around the NAS!!!!!!

Perhaps on my demise stated in my will a IT guy is automatically employed to unravel the confusion that is hardware and software.

I need to set some traps for him. A few situations where he can brick a sensor. Some situations that divide by zero can occur.

Better still some self modifying code to obfuscate ( assuming that it wasn't tricky already ) my code.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, pocster said:

BUT!

 

If I follow this route for documents you are expecting my SWMBO to find and navigate herself around the NAS!!!!!!

Perhaps on my demise stated in my will a IT guy is automatically employed to unravel the confusion that is hardware and software.

I need to set some traps for him. A few situations where he can brick a sensor. Some situations that divide by zero can occur.

Better still some self modifying code to obfuscate ( assuming that it wasn't tricky already ) my code.

Just because I've included the data about rooflights doesn't mean I expect her to get up on the roof and fix a leaking rooflight.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Dudda said:

Just because I've included the data about rooflights doesn't mean I expect her to get up on the roof and fix a leaking rooflight.

Perhaps that's exactly what I need for SWMBO to fix my leaky glazing! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe not but the info might help whoever has to come and fix it /replace it. So it can save a lot of unnecessary grief

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Dudda said:

Google have an 'Google's Inactive Account Manager'. In this it allows you transfer over what you want to your next of kin, eg all your photos, google drive, emails, etc.

 

I've a 'house' folder in google drive that has a all of the data sheets and information for the different things. It was the folder I used as we renovated so contains everything from the radon sumps and their locations at the bottom all the way to the ridge capping and rooflights at the top. The folder structure is CI-Sfb (https://www.ribacpd.com/subjects.aspx) which we use at work and as an architect I'm used to 'Safety Files' and 'Building Manuals' that are handed over to the clients at the end of a project. For our own house I've taken it a bit further in that it contains all the data sheets and warranties of appliances like cookers, hobs, washing machines, etc that are often client supplied and the builder wouldn't include. It also contains a copy of the planing application and all planning correspondents, the energy, PHPP and u-value analysis and a copy of all legal folios, land registry maps, certificate of compliance, etc.

 

Basically everything to maintain, run or sell the property if I were to pass.

 

 

 

Good tip. I hadn't heard of CI-Sfb

 

Another idea I had was to put everything in Google Drive, and make "sure with link" to the various folders. Print them out as QR codes, laminate, and then stick inside the HA cabinet, ASHP controller, CU cupboard, PV inverter, etc etc etc.

So a future maintainer can just snap the QR code and go directly to the docs for that "thing".

 

The slightly more shady bit is getting access to the login credentials for those things. i guess in many cases I could just write them on the bottom of the QR code.

 

I also have hand-written code for several integrations (Internorm blinds, MVHR and Tempest sensors, Firmware in some smart bulbs and plugs, import/export monitoring, 1-wire temperature sensors, Anthem AV amplifier integration, Fakro roof lights, customer PV diverter; god now I write it all down it's actually quite a lot!) so knowing where the source code is, how to build it, and what machine it's running on is even more of a hurdle, but generally those things are driving non-critical services. (Loss of the blinds and rooflight automations would be very annoying though) 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On my demise if it appears under suspicious circumstances I might turn the Mvhr off and auto lock the doors . SWMBO will then have to fight to survive - poor mans SAW

The more I think about it the more I like it ( though I’ll be dead which is a bummer ) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, pocster said:

On my demise if it appears under suspicious circumstances I might turn the Mvhr off and auto lock the doors . SWMBO will then have to fight to survive - poor mans SAW

The more I think about it the more I like it ( though I’ll be dead which is a bummer ) 

 

You need to plan carefully.

 

Your demise could be sudden.

 

If Vlad or Emmanuel (Pint-Size Putin) would lend me one of those hypersponic missiles...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

 

You need to plan carefully.

 

Your demise could be sudden.

 

If Vlad or Emmanuel (Pint-Size Putin) would lend me one of those hypersponic missiles...

Tonight !!!!?!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now