thebiochemist

Recessed electricity meter box

Recommended Posts

Hi, I need to move my meter and incoming electricity supply and it will need to be recessed into a timber frame wall. 

 

The depth of the timber cladding, battens, outer ply and framing timber is sufficient for the 150mm recessed part of the box to fit in easily with the inner ply and plasterboard untouched. 

 

My architect and electrician are both unsure of regs around recessed meter boxes in timber frame walls, SSE can't provide advice (but will not install if they turn up and are unhappy - but won't say what would make them happy in advance) so are little help. 

 

In advance of paying building control to come out and offer some words of wisdom - have any of you recessed a meter box in a timber frame wall or does it have to be block work? 

 

Also if anyone can point me to regs or an approved installation diagram that would be really helpful. 

Edited by thebiochemist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar here in NI with my ICF wall. Asked if I can recess the box in the EPS and run the conduit through a channel. Never got a response. Just going to have to wing it and hope they connect me up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, thebiochemist said:

Hi, I need to move my meter and incoming electricity supply and it will need to be recessed into a timber frame wall. 

 

The depth of the timber cladding, battens, outer ply and framing timber is sufficient for the 150mm recessed part of the box to fit in easily with the inner ply and plasterboard untouched. 

 

My architect and electrician are both unsure of regs around recessed meter boxes in timber frame walls, SSE can't provide advice (but will not install if they turn up and are unhappy - but won't say what would make them happy in advance) so are little help. 

 

In advance of paying building control to come out and offer some words of wisdom - have any of you recessed a meter box in a timber frame wall or does it have to be block work? 

 

Also if anyone can point me to regs or an approved installation diagram that would be really helpful. 

It won't be an issue as long as you fit a compliant metal recessed box and fit all the correct glands and grommets and or use fire sealant where required. 

 

If it was me, I would call Wylex or MK and have them give you the model and details of the consumer unit you will need to mount into a timber frame. 

 

These boxes are made for this application. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Carrerahill said:

It won't be an issue as long as you fit a compliant metal recessed box and fit all the correct glands and grommets and or use fire sealant where required. 

 

If it was me, I would call Wylex or MK and have them give you the model and details of the consumer unit you will need to mount into a timber frame. 

 

These boxes are made for this application. 

 

 

 

 

Isn’t the Op talking about the meter and cutout?  Not the internal consumer unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TonyT said:

Isn’t the Op talking about the meter and cutout?  Not the internal consumer unit.

So he was... my bad!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now