Mike_scotland

Air tightness test.

Recommended Posts

Hey,

 

When do you get a air tightness test carried out? Is it at the end of the build or before plasterboarding/plaster etc? 

 

Just thought if you test and the plasterboard on and you fail it could mean ripping it off to find any leakage areas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike_scotland said:

Is it at the end of the build or before plasterboarding/plaster etc

Both is best

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I set up a DIY blower door after the frame was built and air tight membrane fitted.  That enabled me to look for leaks and get an idea of how good it was.

 

My official test needed for building control was not done until right at the end.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did mine before wet plastering and at the end still found a few problems on the final test 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would have thought it would depend on the type of construction. We had our TF first tested after windows and doors were fitted and plasterboarding done, but then we didn't use airtightness membranes or tapes. We got 0.5ACH but the tester wouldn't accept it for SAP until the house was more complete. The final test was done after all second fix plumbing was done and he did a final SAP test which averaged 0.47ACH.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had one done before plastering, not a chance I'm paying for another. The result was low so what is the point of another?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

I had one done before plastering, not a chance I'm paying for another. The result was low so what is the point of another?

Did you get supplied with a certificate, I had a test done early to look for problems, but because I didn’t have a front door fitted he wouldn’t count it as a final test, so no certification, got to have another on completion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We told we had to have a second test once house was completed.  Anything other than that was not acceptable and a certificate would not be issued - cannot get a final SAP EPC either until I have said certificate.  Cannot get a building completion certificate until I have as built EPC certificate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Did you get supplied with a certificate, I had a test done early to look for problems, but because I didn’t have a front door fitted he wouldn’t count it as a final test, so no certification, got to have another on completion. 

That sound a tad harsh. Did he not have his fan on the front door anyway. Guess he wanted a second payment? A second test would be just for kudos in EPC or if needed for eco certification.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Did you get supplied with a certificate, I had a test done early to look for problems, but because I didn’t have a front door fitted he wouldn’t count it as a final test, so no certification, got to have another on completion. 

Yeah gave me a certificate. I was doing it as pre plaster Check with the intention of one at the end. Result was so good that I'm not bothering with another🤷‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They all pretty meaningless With most of the mass produced houses scoring a 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

We told we had to have a second test once house was completed.  Anything other than that was not acceptable and a certificate would not be issued - cannot get a final SAP EPC either until I have said certificate.  Cannot get a building completion certificate until I have as built EPC certificate.

Yes I am glad I only did my DIY one at the start so I only had to pay for one official test to get the as built SAP and BC completion.

 

BC asked for an air test certificate, but never actually asked for a final as built SAP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, nod said:

They all pretty meaningless With most of the mass produced houses scoring a 2

That would surprise me.

 

In Scotland, anything less than a 3 and you must fit mvhr, so I would expect all mass built houses to score 3.1 and hence not need mvhr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daughter stays in a new development house, with mvhr, but I think the whole development, of several hundred houses, only a few have mvhr, the rest are dMEV, so all most likely declared as ProDave says as 3.1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gordo said:

That sound a tad harsh. Did he not have his fan on the front door anyway. Guess he wanted a second payment? A second test would be just for kudos in EPC or if needed for eco certification.

I thought it was harsh, we were having a good chat and thought we got on cool, but he obviously wants his extra fee. 

Fan was in back door, front door had a sheet of plasterboard over it all fixed in place with squirty foam. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ProDave said:

That would surprise me.

 

In Scotland, anything less than a 3 and you must fit mvhr, so I would expect all mass built houses to score 3.1 and hence not need mvhr.

and me 

It’s every sight now 

 

We did the framing on the largest medical store in the uk Three range rovers arived with the largest fans I’ve ever seen 

We hadn’t finished sealing the building 

I over heard the sight manager telling someone on the phone that  We had nailed  the air test Scoring a two Most of these commercial buildings are aiming for four 

 

There’s so many of the companies at it 

I’ve seven housing sites on the go and haven’t seen an air test for a couple of years One in seven will still be certified 

Probably done from desktop 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, nod said:

Three range rovers arived

Must be the car of choice for Air Testers, @joe90 guy turned up in one as well.

 

So we make airtight houses to reduce energy, then let (expletive deleted) turn up in Rangerovers.

Edited by SteamyTea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For my EPC I was told an Air Tightness Test was not compulsory, we got an A without it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JamesP said:

For my EPC I was told an Air Tightness Test was not compulsory, we got an A without it.

Well done.  My design SAP with the standard assumed air tightness scored a B, just 1 point short if A.  That would have been frustrating.  It was BC that insisted on an air test so having got it done I gave that to the assessor for the as built SAP which of course was A

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, nod said:

They all pretty meaningless With most of the mass produced houses scoring a 2

Most I see are around the 4 mark. But I lost all faith in air testing when I observed houses being tested where imperfections were sealed up with sticky tape and even internal room that must have been draughty where the door was sealed up with tape. It just managed to get over 4. The air testers are obviously keeping the contractors right for repeat business.
 

the accreditation system is worthless. The certifying body would have to be spot testing some % of the houses after test to restore my faith

Edited by Gordo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Must be the car of choice for Air Testers, @joe90 guy turned up in one as well.

 

So we make airtight houses to reduce energy, then let (expletive deleted) turn up in Rangerovers.

Our MVHR installers (subbed by Enhabit) turned up in an (expletive deleted) RAM pickup. One of those 5L monster things.

[OK I used to love occasionally hiring them when traveling in the US, but using it as everyday run around in London 🤮)] 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DIY fan for is. 

 

Airtight test was done at the earliest stage the building was actually airtight. Windows and doors in. No plasterboard on the ceiling. No insulation in the attic. Just a scratch coat of plaster on the walls before the final two coats. 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now