Air tightness test.

Mike_scotland

I set up a DIY blower door after the frame was built and air tight membrane fitted.  That enabled me to look for leaks and get an idea of how good it was.

My official test needed for building control was not done until right at the end.

• Like 1

I would have thought it would depend on the type of construction. We had our TF first tested after windows and doors were fitted and plasterboarding done, but then we didn't use airtightness membranes or tapes. We got 0.5ACH but the tester wouldn't accept it for SAP until the house was more complete. The final test was done after all second fix plumbing was done and he did a final SAP test which averaged 0.47ACH.

24 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

I had one done before plastering, not a chance I'm paying for another. The result was low so what is the point of another?

Did you get supplied with a certificate, I had a test done early to look for problems, but because I didn’t have a front door fitted he wouldn’t count it as a final test, so no certification, got to have another on completion. 

We told we had to have a second test once house was completed.  Anything other than that was not acceptable and a certificate would not be issued - cannot get a final SAP EPC either until I have said certificate.  Cannot get a building completion certificate until I have as built EPC certificate.

14 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Did you get supplied with a certificate, I had a test done early to look for problems, but because I didn’t have a front door fitted he wouldn’t count it as a final test, so no certification, got to have another on completion. 

That sound a tad harsh. Did he not have his fan on the front door anyway. Guess he wanted a second payment? A second test would be just for kudos in EPC or if needed for eco certification.

34 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Yeah gave me a certificate. I was doing it as pre plaster Check with the intention of one at the end. Result was so good that I'm not bothering with another?‍♂️

44 minutes ago, JohnMo said:

We told we had to have a second test once house was completed.  Anything other than that was not acceptable and a certificate would not be issued - cannot get a final SAP EPC either until I have said certificate.  Cannot get a building completion certificate until I have as built EPC certificate.

Yes I am glad I only did my DIY one at the start so I only had to pay for one official test to get the as built SAP and BC completion.

BC asked for an air test certificate, but never actually asked for a final as built SAP.

21 minutes ago, nod said:

They all pretty meaningless With most of the mass produced houses scoring a 2

That would surprise me.

In Scotland, anything less than a 3 and you must fit mvhr, so I would expect all mass built houses to score 3.1 and hence not need mvhr.

2 hours ago, Gordo said:

That sound a tad harsh. Did he not have his fan on the front door anyway. Guess he wanted a second payment? A second test would be just for kudos in EPC or if needed for eco certification.

I thought it was harsh, we were having a good chat and thought we got on cool, but he obviously wants his extra fee. 

Fan was in back door, front door had a sheet of plasterboard over it all fixed in place with squirty foam. 

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

That would surprise me.

In Scotland, anything less than a 3 and you must fit mvhr, so I would expect all mass built houses to score 3.1 and hence not need mvhr.

and me 

It’s every sight now 

We did the framing on the largest medical store in the uk Three range rovers arived with the largest fans I’ve ever seen 

We hadn’t finished sealing the building 

I over heard the sight manager telling someone on the phone that  We had nailed  the air test Scoring a two Most of these commercial buildings are aiming for four 

There’s so many of the companies at it 

I’ve seven housing sites on the go and haven’t seen an air test for a couple of years One in seven will still be certified 

Probably done from desktop 

9 minutes ago, nod said:

Three range rovers arived

Must be the car of choice for Air Testers, @joe90 guy turned up in one as well.

So we make airtight houses to reduce energy, then let (expletive deleted) turn up in Rangerovers.

Edited by SteamyTea

2 minutes ago, JamesP said:

For my EPC I was told an Air Tightness Test was not compulsory, we got an A without it.

Well done.  My design SAP with the standard assumed air tightness scored a B, just 1 point short if A.  That would have been frustrating.  It was BC that insisted on an air test so having got it done I gave that to the assessor for the as built SAP which of course was A

4 hours ago, nod said:

They all pretty meaningless With most of the mass produced houses scoring a 2

Most I see are around the 4 mark. But I lost all faith in air testing when I observed houses being tested where imperfections were sealed up with sticky tape and even internal room that must have been draughty where the door was sealed up with tape. It just managed to get over 4. The air testers are obviously keeping the contractors right for repeat business.

the accreditation system is worthless. The certifying body would have to be spot testing some % of the houses after test to restore my faith

Edited by Gordo

5 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Must be the car of choice for Air Testers, @joe90 guy turned up in one as well.

So we make airtight houses to reduce energy, then let (expletive deleted) turn up in Rangerovers.

Our MVHR installers (subbed by Enhabit) turned up in an (expletive deleted) RAM pickup. One of those 5L monster things.

[OK I used to love occasionally hiring them when traveling in the US, but using it as everyday run around in London ?)] 

DIY fan for is. 

Airtight test was done at the earliest stage the building was actually airtight. Windows and doors in. No plasterboard on the ceiling. No insulation in the attic. Just a scratch coat of plaster on the walls before the final two coats.