flooring advice - help!

TryC

Hi All,

We're due to have our carpets installed this week and wondered if anyone could suggest a make it good fix on our existing floorboards. 

We've always had that one pesky squeaky floorboard under the carpet and underlay, and so we went and put a plank in there, but turns out the wood we have is too thin - the floorboards have pretty old and thick wood, and whilst, we  really wanted to retain the original (because it is so thick and strong, not like the types you can buy these days), there were two wobbly boards, one we fixed by just putting in a nail or two, but the other one, which is a weird shape and cracked and waning in some areas (because it is not cut straight). 

Is it possible to fill in these gaps? with some sort of floor filler or mend the cracked wood at all?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

20211130_195555.jpg

20211130_202702.jpg

20211130_202939.jpg

20211130_202956.jpg

20211130_203006.jpg

Edited by TryC

If I was you I wouldn't even try and fill them, get yourself the correct thickness timber and straighten out some of those rough ends. If the T&G that's fixed down has poor edges to them you could take them out and put fresh down, you can put the old pieces underneath going across and screw to it, should add a little strength to it all. if you are putting a new carpet down you need to get it right.

Regards  James

• Like 1

5 hours ago, James94 said:

If I was you I wouldn't even try and fill them, get yourself the correct thickness timber and straighten out some of those rough ends. If the T&G that's fixed down has poor edges to them you could take them out and put fresh down, you can put the old pieces underneath going across and screw to it, should add a little strength to it all. if you are putting a new carpet down you need to get it right.

Regards  James

sorry, but what do you mean by T&G?

Most floorboards squeak because the wood shrinks and the board moves up and down the nail, get a nail punch and drive as many as possible tighter. Yes screws are better but get the proper thickness timber that fits properly, you will kick yourself if it squeaks after the carpet is laid.

• Like 1