Staircase Revamp.

zoothorn

Hello over on this section of BH.

As some know I bought a neglected small stone cottage 5 yrs ago, Im gradually renovating ( & an extention built on). The staircase was pretty ''agriculturally built" by an amateur builder 20 yrs ago it seems. I think a good plan is to revamp it, leaving steps & basic structure. 

The side diagonals & 2 posts are unsightly I think, as is the hardboard back. This is the main room, & staircase midpoint opposite front door: so would be great to get such a central feature looking good. Steps seem hardwood, solid enough.

I wonder if any of you could lend ideas as to how I could best revamp it? Few pics below.

Thanks for reading, Zoot.

B7F17873-C635-42F2-B988-0ACDAFB340A4.jpeg

0E45A782-F671-4DC9-B541-89FD4DFEEFC4.jpeg

694F98EA-1053-4862-9DA5-1499E9D716DB.jpeg

Edited by zoothorn

I wonder if @PeterW or @Onoff might lend an opinion? Be grateful if so as usual. Not a big job, timber more my area too.

I was wondering thus: remove 3x diagonals, & replace with upright spindles + bannister top. The post is hampering plans though as it seems to be fixed to the ceiling ( supporting it at all?).

Thanks, zoot.

21 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I have to say it looks fine to me but I am an old stick in the mud.

I knew someone would say this! ( my ^ pics make it look far better than it is.. my f'arty lighting i think ).

The hardboard on back & on vertical step bits are badly fitted , rattle. Huge step gaps to inny outy old wall (but not much I can do here).

It really is just cheapest way done. tatty too like this ( especially pic 2) where it seems to join with ceiling for eg.. 

85AC2A37-BFF2-4D56-84A3-09AD6F29BB73.jpeg

D499A5CC-E8F2-4C43-852A-24AE9D7EEB6E.jpeg

43 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You can buy handrail, baserail and spindle sections quite easily. For example:

https://www.diy.com/departments/building-supplies/stairs-stair-parts/stair-parts/DIY830487.cat

To bling up that centre post just route the edge, pin on some mouldings, a combo of both.

Hi Onoff. Have been trawling similar sites for these type of replacement bits, these look good: limited here but should be ok.

Its really the revamp plan. If you can see my post pic2 above: the main tall one going from ground up & joining in an awkward way, to some bad architrave & fixing (no idea how or why.. ceiling support-? ) to the side here. Its 1st what to do about this post.

I think your referring to the 'centre post' being the upper shorter one? I think this might need just a new nicer cap: simplest bit of the job. Pic1 above.

Thanks, zoot

Edited by zoothorn

3 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Lord knows what farmer giles' plan was here. It seems to be joined.. but is it/ could it be supportIng the ceiling at all?

E171EB9B-A030-4558-A27C-97E192659A6B.jpeg

Odd detail so yes it could be supporting the ceiling as well. Nothing wrong with it being two pieces, they probably needed to pack out a bit.

I quite like the look and design of the staircase, maybe too much dark wood.

post caps are easy to replace with something closer to post size and maybe raised centre like a fence post cap.

bit of tidying, rubbing down, bit of filler and maybe some white to break up the brown and it could look fantastic