Extra protection for Caberdek during winter

Moonshine

The first floor joists are set to go in next week with caberdek floors.

There will be no roof on until mid / end jan.

What extra protection can give the floor over the winter months, especially over the xmas break.

I was thinking of laying a DPM over it over the break.

My caberdeck first floor was laid mid winter and then the upper floor built from it so weeks out in the open with builders stuff all over it,  rain was washing down the stairwell and my builder assured me it would be ok, he was right and I was relieved. I think as long as it’s not damaged it is impervious to water.

26 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I think as long as it’s not damaged it is impervious to water.

I am wanting to screw the deck down to the joists, so may make a bunch of holes in the covering, umm....

these screws, with the two threads to pull the floor boards tight to the joist and glue.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-tite-2-pz-double-self-countersunk-screw-3-5-x-50mm-200-pack/726fy

Edited by Moonshine

4 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

I am wanting to screw the deck down to the joists, so may make a bunch of holes in the covering, umm....

Nothing wrong with screwing down just don’t bury the screw heads as this leaves holes to fill and allow water into the core. Any holes or deep screws should ideally be filled if you are wanting resist standing water .. (slope would be better but not great for floors ) ?

I recently left some off it’s outside just out of curiosity, the pieces stood vertically with groove uppermost have suffered the most but the horizontal ones laid on a cobbled area are dirty but pretty much unaffected by all the rain.

just thinking about this more, a full continuous bead of glue on top of the tongue would prevent water getting in and not gluing under the tongue would ease water getting out.

Edited by markc

Paint any cut edges with D4 glue. You can always sand it off at a future date. Other option is paint all the cut edges/holes etc with floor paint as that’s good too. 

Any holes for screws etc you can fill with cheap body filler. 

• Like 1

My floor was glued only and not moved or squeeked in the last few years since completion. I was not there at the time it was laid so don’t know if they protected the edges, around the stairwell it was not and was trimmed later (by me) and I don’t recall any swelling (but admit I would protect the edges if I did the job!).

6 minutes ago, Moonshine said:

What are peoples thoughts on these screws, they seem to have a smaller head so may let more water in? the head will need to be taped over.

https://www.toolstation.com/reisser-torx-diamond-point-flooring-screw/p49364

Brilliant screw for secret fixing through tongues of boards but these do pull through chipboard quite easily. Ordinary heads work much better on flooring and pull down tighter

• Like 1