10k or 50k? Your opinions, please.

Delta Tango

Hi, folks. I'm looking at buying an inexpensive old stone house in Italy and want to ask the community here whether they think that the cost to repair or replace the carrying beams held up by the floor props will be cripplingly expensive. Essentially, are we talking £10k to do this or £50k+?
Thanks in advance for your input.

1 Beams.png

6 Beams.png

7 Beams.png

8 Beams.png

Looks like you may be replacing the entire 1st floor. And if the floor is in that state, what condition is the roof in? And are you required to replace like-with-like for conservation reasons, or to is is advisable or mandatory to reinforce everything with concrete due to earthquake risk?

IMHO you need a local contractor or, better still, a structural engineer to advice you.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mike said:

Looks like you may be replacing the entire 1st floor. And if the floor is in that state, what condition is the roof in? And are you required to replace like-with-like for conservation reasons, or to is is advisable or mandatory to reinforce everything with concrete due to earthquake risk?

IMHO you need a local contractor or, better still, a structural engineer to advice you.

Thanks for raising these excellent points, Mike. I'll be contacting a structural engineer, as you suggest.

Edited by Delta Tango

What a lovely place. With the complexities and nuance of restoration building work, pay attention to advanced language skills so you don't get caught out, as there are plenty of pitfalls for the unwary without that added complication. 

All the best.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Jilly said:

What a lovely place. With the complexities and nuance of restoration building work, pay attention to advanced language skills so you don't get caught out, as there are plenty of pitfalls for the unwary without that added complication. 

All the best.

Thank you, Jilly. A great point, and one likely often overlooked.

Edited by Delta Tango

I can understand how you could become emotionally attached to a building like this, but it could well prove to be a money pit.  Be very aware of the lengthy and costly bureaucracy in Italy.  You may do better to find somewhere that has had at least all the structural work carried out.  Often, completed projects can be decent value.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

I can understand how you could become emotionally attached to a building like this, but it could well prove to be a money pit.  Be very aware of the lengthy and costly bureaucracy in Italy.  You may do better to find somewhere that has had at least all the structural work carried out.  Often, completed projects can be decent value.

Thanks, Mr Punter. Yep, that's what I'm trying to get at least some idea about - whether it's likely to be a money pit or not. The house itself is on the market for €9000, but if the work costs 10x that or more, and creates a world of stress, then...

Refurbs cost far more than new build at the best of times - the fact that they are practically giving this away would alert me to the fact that it could actually have a negative value.

It is lovely but approach with eyes wide open.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

The work will cost a fortune.

Local builders have not bought it as they can't make money at it as a developer.

In the UK equivalent position such a building is bought for self-build, where we can put in endless hours, change our minds and argue finer points with builders.

At a distance this becomes even more difficult. If the builder or Architect or Mayor doesn't agree with your proposals, then you will have to do everything their way.

You will have to use a local Architect, and what if they don't like refurb and only like complete replacement?

So you must discuss with Architect, a builder, and probably the Mayor or Clerk at the town hall. And unless you know a lot about construction, speak the language including all its subtleties, and have at least 50% contingency on the price you are told, then it probably is too much of a risk.

£10k or £50k? Yes. £10k with me on site all the time and if I could suddenly speak Italian and it was only these beams. £50k more likely...but perhaps £100k if the walls and roof come down on purpose or accidentally.

Sorry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1