door supplier insisting on charging VAT

Hi all, our front door supplier (supply only) is insisting on charging VAT, saying I can just reclaim at the end. It was my understanding that they are legally obliged to zero rate if this is a new build though. Fine, I guess, if we can reclaim at the end - but could there be a problem if we try to do this?

2 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

they are right, you can reclaim. 

In their shoes, every tom dick and harry could say the windows are for a new build to get out of paying vat which the window company would then be liable for.

+1 on this

3 hours ago, Tom said:

It was my understanding that they are legally obliged to zero rate if this is a new build though.

Nope. In the case of a supply and fit contract there is a zero-rated VAT exemption if the contractor is convinced the property is a genuine ongoing new build. It must get difficult for contractors to assess this in the case of slow self builds where the owner moves into a part complete property.

OK, thanks all for the above. Will stump up the dough.

As an aside, I'm about to pay the deposit for our sliders and I want to pay part of this by credit card so that I am covered under section 75 - but they will only accept payment by BACS or cheque annoyingly. Am trying to confirm with HSBC whether I can send a BACS payment from my online credit card account...

Credit cards are an expensive way to take payment (merchant is charged a % of the transaction as a fee plus ongoing monthly costs for the facility, delayed time to payment and chargebacks if customer is not happy.

It's justifiable if you're in a retail environment where everyone else offers it and customers won't buy unless they can use it but it's rare to see when there are much larger sums involved.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tom said:

OK, thanks all for the above. Will stump up the dough.

As an aside, I'm about to pay the deposit for our sliders and I want to pay part of this by credit card so that I am covered under section 75 - but they will only accept payment by BACS or cheque annoyingly. Am trying to confirm with HSBC whether I can send a BACS payment from my online credit card account...

two options, you only have to pay a nominal amount of £100 on the credit card, the rest can be BACS and you arte covered for the whole amount.

option b:, pay the whole amount using your overdraught and you are similarly covered.

31 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

two options, you only have to pay a nominal amount of £100 on the credit card, the rest can be BACS and you arte covered for the whole amount.

Can't pay anything by credit card unless they take credit card payments

33 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

option b:, pay the whole amount using your overdraught and you are similarly covered.

Long way to go until I get in to my overdraught...? lol

Paid by BACS a short while ago, then just now got a text from HSBC saying that if I don't verify the transfer they will assume it's fraudulent and recover my money!

Wish they would do that with my council tax...