eygtian water level gauges

scottishjohn

just a thought

to find the original wall head heights of my building ,which is "U"  shaped 

i was thinking maybe of  water level gauges and coupled with small bore tubing 

thoughts and any ideas where to find such a thing 

or is it home made job 

building is 25m long ,so trying to find original corner heights all round will not be possible with laser as internal walls will get in the way  and too long in my mind for  string level especially a i do not know at this stage which bit is correct height 

good enough for building pyramids so should be good enough for me and water always finds a level

still waiting on planning  ,but i could at least repair wall heads and cap off with mortar  to stop any further water ingress 

I do not have enough scaffolding to go all round --so idea was to get levels then leapfrog the scaffolding as I repair wall heads  

Edited by scottishjohn

I few little tips:

beware the water gauges they sell with cheap tubing as over long lengths, the tube will deform, especially when in the sun, and screw up your measurements - I know coz I've been there and freeked out when I found one corner of the house to be nearly 50mm higher than my datum. Then I change the tube to clear braided airline tubing and found the actual different was 3mm.

The other is to fashion up a water tank that permanently sits at your datum point and feeds the water gauge.

I threw away the one I bought and made my own - it was more robust, accurate and usable as I could make the measuring gauge as long/high as I wanted which was useful.

Edited by SimonD
  • Like 1

Use a laser level and just transfer your measured heights through each doorway, corridor etc. You can then set a benchmark in every part of the house to take all measurements from. 

Edited by Conor
  • Like 1

I used my laser level for my plot, it was not powerful enough to see over the distance so waited till nearly dark, donned the protective glasses and looked into the laser (from about 50m away) to measure a height. Yes water in a pipe is a good idea (with some food colouring).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, SimonD said:

beware the water gauges they sell with cheap tubing as over long lengths, the tube will deform, especially when in the sun, and screw up your measurements - I know coz I've been there and freeked out when I found one corner of the house to be nearly 50mm higher than my datum. Then I change the tube to clear braided airline tubing and found the actual different was 3mm.

don,t  think sun will be a problem  LOL

• Haha 1

Agreed. Water level from TS or SF or online. They are (almost)  idiot proof, go round corners and through walls and don't cost a fortune to replace when the builder drives over it.

Also, if you get one that stands on its own, or you prop it up, it is a one person job....that is invaluable when you want to check something tricky (or sensitive) when the builders have gone home.

Or fix to pieces of wood.

You can make your own hitec one with a length of clear tubing, clipped to a 2 x 2 on each end, and that also allows you to do it standing up.  

I have seen far more errors with laser levels than with dumpy levels or  the underused water levels.

Boning rods (profiles) are good if you have the space, and they are not dug up again. saves a lot of repetition. 

20 hours ago, Conor said:

Use a laser level and just transfer your measured heights through each doorway, corridor etc. You can then set a benchmark in every part of the house to take all measurements from. 

This is what I did, once you have your benchmarks it’s very quick to check accurately.