Fixed costs in a roof PV installation.

epsilonGreedy

Once a PV array is fitted on a roof what extra costs are incurred below the roof to get an array operational?

The background is, I am tempted to install a small 3 panel 1.1kw roof PV array. Since I am DIY fitting the natural slate for my self-build, the marginal cost of switching 5 m2 of slate roof from slate to PV appears to be about £890.

A PV panel plus a GSE in-roof tray is £300.

I need to add about £120 for code-4 lead flashing because I hear that the non lead GSE kit flashing is not as good as lead and I am now more comfortable handling lead flashing.

On the credit side I will save fitting £128/85 slates which means buying fewer slates for the garage later on.

p.s. I am happy to skip any DNO registration costs because the FIT credit would be tiny on such a small array.

You will have to run the DC cabling down to where you want to fit the inverter and install a DC isolator.

You will need to buy an inverter, dc isolator ac isolator and generation meter.

You are legally obliged to notify the DNO under G98 but there is no cost and they can't say no.  Make SURE the inverter is G98 compliant. They will want the make and model of the inverter to confirm it is.  They will want some details and a pretty picture of how it is wired.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, markharro said:

That sounds like a very expensive panel - I thought the GSE trays were around £30 so £270 for a 350? watt panel? I would have thought half that,

Do you have a link to an example?

Due to an anticipated problem with planning in a conservation area I would submit an application with a self imposed condition to only fit all back panels.

Edit: To say I walk quoting inc VAT prices.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

46 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Did we not have a similar conversation about the cost if fitting roof integrated PV against tiles.

I have a stalker, does that make me a celebrity?

46 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

And you decided all the people that had actually done it were talking nonsense.

What actually happened is that a forum luminary claimed PV is now so cheap it costs no more to fit than a regular roof if fitted during the initial build.

At the time I trusted every post from the luminary and so I went off to investigate the claim hoping it would definitely be true in my case since a natural slate roof is more expensive than most other roof coverings. An hour later and very disappointed I reported back and disputed the claim. It was not true 2 years ago and is still not true today even given dropping PV prices.

There might be parity of costs excluding the actual PV panel but that is still a big margin. Build time is clearly the optimum time to fit tidy in-roof solar particularly as scaffolding hire must be a big factor with a retrofit.

Anyhow the original thread descended into pointless bickering once another now departed forum luminary joined in and started asserting that black is white.

2 hours ago, ProDave said:

You will need to buy an inverter, dc isolator ac isolator and generation meter.

After some digging I have this budget:

• Inverter - typically £500 to £800 for a standard 4 to 5 kW model but for a tiny 1.1 kW PV array the price drops to under £300. Here is a 1.5kW example for £228 https://midsummerwholesale.co.uk/buy/Growatt-inverters/growatt-1500tl-x
  • dc isolator ac isolator - these are just big high amp mechanical switches it seems? Say £25 each?
  • Generation meter - this something the DNO pings directly to obtain FIT export kW hours? If not can it be omitted in a low budget PV installation? 

11 minutes ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Generation meter - this something the DNO pings directly to obtain FIT export kW hours? If not can it be omitted in a low budget PV installation? 

A requirement for a FIT system.  For a non FIT system I would still have one (I do) just out of interest so you know how much you have generated.  I think I paid £25 for mine.

31 minutes ago, ProDave said:

A requirement for a FIT system.  For a non FIT system I would still have one (I do) just out of interest so you know how much you have generated.  I think I paid £25 for mine.

At £25 I am convinced. Before posting I had found meters priced over £200 which is a lot for an amp hour counting device.

Edited by epsilonGreedy