TV connector confusion

Pocster

I have a TV amp that outputs to a female standard coaxial connector i.e. you you plug the tv aerial into.

I wish though to have it plug into the IN on the splitter - but can't work out what fittings/converters I need.

Then I need fittings for each output that allow a male standard TV aerial to plug into each of them.

I'm getting confused between F connectors/coaxial/BNC etc. etc.

Guidance appreciated!

IMG_4942.jpg

They look like F-types, same as sky/virgin use. A photo looking in the end of the connector would help.

Generally the modern standard is to use F-type everywhere and just convert to UHF coaxial plug on the flylead going to the back of the set itself.

You might want to save some bother and buy a dedicated distribution amplifier which had multiple F-type outlets built in. Your existing amplifier maybe more of a mast head booster than a distribution amp, they have different purposes. E.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Labgear-LDA2061LR-Way-Distribution-Amplifier/dp/B00J623O88/ref=asc_df_B00J623O88/

Edited by joth
  • Thanks 1

Yes standard F pugs on the splitter.

But rather than use that splitter, replace your simple 1 in 1 out amplifier with a "distribution amplifier" that has 1 input and typically 4 or 8 separate outputs all individually boosted.

Edit: post crossed with @joth who said much the same thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, joth said:

They look like F-types, same as sky/virgin use. A photo looking in the end of the connector would help.

Generally the modern standard is to use F-type everywhere and just convert to UHF coaxial plug on the flylead going to the back of the set itself.

You might want to save some bother and buy a dedicated distribution amplifier which had multiple F-type outlets built in. Your existing amplifier maybe more of a mast head booster than a distribution amp, they have different purposes. E.g. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Labgear-LDA2061LR-Way-Distribution-Amplifier/dp/B00J623O88/ref=asc_df_B00J623O88/

The tv Aerial is boosted yes . But if I get the distribution box as you list is better I’ll order that and drop the booster yes ? . So if I order this - do I need any other connectors / converters for the 1 input and multiple tv outputs ??? 

Edited by pocster

11 minutes ago, pocster said:

I need these ?? For the output to male Rf leads ??

004E1CF9-5BFE-4F51-B0F0-E550D629587A.png

839A7BCE-29ED-44E6-8AEA-54290CCA9D5F.png

Yes they can work: installed on the female F-type on the amplifier or wall plate, and then use a traditional UHF flylead.

Alternatively you can get the opposite gender adapter to get directly in the back of the set, female F-type and male uhf

Edited by joth
  • Thanks 1

F plugs are about 10p each. Learn how to fit them to coax, it is very easy and robust and a quick way of making good patch leads just the right length.  A much better connector imho that the old tv coax connector, especially the modern variants of that with a silly little tiny screw to clamp the inner connection to the pin (I much prefer the older, now hard to find ones where you soldered the inner core to the pin)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A booster amplifies the signal.

A distribution amp splits the signal multiple ways.

A true distribution amplifier doesn't really amplify the signal much (Normally just enough to correct for losses in the "splitting process"). However some products that look like distribution amplifiers do amplify the signal to varying degrees. So you may or may not need one of each.

Given a clean slate...   you want as big an aerial as possible/needed so you don't need an amplifier. If you already have the right type and size of aerial and signal strength is still an issue then you might consider an amplifier. The best type is a mast head amplifier that goes at the top of mast near the aerial and is powered up the cable coax cable. Then if you want multiple outputs you use a distribution amp that doesn't amplify the signal much. This overall approach of putting the amplification close to the aerial minimises noise on the signal.

I'm just sorting out connectors for tv/satellite so this is interesting.

What is best choice for in-wall connectors:

- co-ax female or f-type male?

- isolated or non-isolated?

Edited by Dan F

8 hours ago, Dan F said:

I'm just sorting out connectors for tv/satellite so this is interesting.

What is best choice for in-wall connectors:

- co-ax female or f-type male?

- isolated or non-isolated?

The wall plate should be F-type female. The pin of the male connector is effectively sacrificial (it's just the inner core of the solid core cable) and will need replacing after so many insertions and removals, so always put the male connector on the easy to replace fly lead.

I'd stick with non-isolated unless you're doing an elaborate multiroom distribution which calls for something else

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Ideally run cable straight out if wall to TV with no connectors ?

Otherwise use F type.

Appreciate some people like this method but I’m not a fan, I prefer to end the cabling in a box with a face plate and plug in a lead- I’ve flood wired my house for multiple TV points in different corners of rooms.

• Like 1