A basic question about fixing a cable to an Ariston cylinder

Hi, a boy to the forums here.

Anyway, when it comes to plumbing I can build in new components. Not so good at rectifying when things fail, but I do try.

What I want to know about is…

The ARISTON  cylinder was supplied with Evacuated Solar Tubes in 2009 that have worked and still produce hot water in the summer months to as high as 70*C. The cylinder has an Pro-Tech anti-corrosion system fitted but has come away in my hands as I sort to clean and investigate stains, leaks and how I might fit two jackets over the cylinder, and lag the pipes with non-corroding foam. The Harvey’s Water Softener I presume has now nulled the use of the Pro-Tech system. The corrosion on the end of the red lead was so bad that I cannot fully determine how it was fitted to the ‘spigot’ on the cylinder. The crimp spade that I have fitted is incorrect, it ought to have had a crimp spade with an flat ‘washer’ end so that it could be clamped with a 2mm nut to the inner conducting part of the ’spigot’, the outer part is brass!

So the question is can this be tapped to take a 2mm metal - which metal - stud with a nut?

Or should I just save myself some work. I do not want to puncture a hole through the cylinder!

A penny for your thoughts guys.

Thank you

John

IMG_0798.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

Can you show a closer picture of what the red wire used to connect to?

I am not familliar with this unit so I have no idea of what it claims to do and what is inside the cylinder.  Do you have a link to the manufacturers site? installation manuals etc?

A photo won't help here the 'centre' is small and dark. The red crimped connector ought to clamped to the pink/ brass spigot at the very centre of the spigot. The installers left no manuals in 2009 unfortunately. The Ariston site is not particularly helpful now 12 years on.

It is basically allowing an anti-corrosion system to run. Even with the black cable still fixed the cover unit still shows a red light on!

I cannot help further I am afraid.

Oh, just found this link https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/pro-tech-anti-corrosion-system.371169/

and this from another site. 

John

cylinders_um.pdf

So that's some kind of sacrificial anode system to prevent corrosion with the anode fed with a voltage / current.

It looks like what you want to be connecting to is some form of stud with a washer and a nut that connects through to the anode.  Has that thread and nut corroded to nothing?