ICF build not progressing

bellski

Builder issues are the main problem. Plan A was wayyyyyyyyyyyyy over budget.

Also builders/contractors in my area are not so familiar with the method so looking at moving on with the build another way.

If I am honest the loss on the blocks will be nothing compared to the saving we will make compared to the ICF builders proposed cost.

I was very much looking forward to this build concept but so far costs are over budget.

Thanks

Norm

Putting the shell up is a surprisingly small part of the whole project. You still need groundworks, foundations, roof etc etc.

Im an amateur thats built a 4 bed cottage with ICF on my own. If I can do it any half decent builder can too.

What exterior finish do you have planning permission for? As you mention brick... 

Hmm builders are pretty expensive right now there’s COVID & inflation but also tonnes of demand they can pick & choose, especially the ones who package up the work leaving less to you in terms of sourcing sub contractors. But if you have found a cheaper one that can ACTUALLY deliver at that price giving you a saving and making it within budget then go for it. There may be no easy answer or just downgrading spec, its a lot luck as to how time consuming the sub contractor route can be right now and thus how long it takes to get the job done.

1 hour ago, willbish said:

Putting the shell up is a surprisingly small part of the whole project. You still need groundworks, foundations, roof etc etc.

Im an amateur thats built a 4 bed cottage with ICF on my own. If I can do it any half decent builder can too.

What exterior finish do you have planning permission for? As you mention brick... 

The plan was render and a brick/stone cladding like z-clad. Builders locally are not so keen on what they see as a new method and quite honestly letting he practice on our house is not my idea of fun. We await a quote for a traditional block and brick alternative but wanted to see if we have any interest in the block was purchase earlier this year.

First builder, no developer, was simply charging soo much we had to put the brakes on this, hence the reason to join the forum.

1 hour ago, rh2205 said:

Hmm builders are pretty expensive right now there’s COVID & inflation but also tonnes of demand they can pick & choose, especially the ones who package up the work leaving less to you in terms of sourcing sub contractors. But if you have found a cheaper one that can ACTUALLY deliver at that price giving you a saving and making it within budget then go for it. There may be no easy answer or just downgrading spec, its a lot luck as to how time consuming the sub contractor route can be right now and thus how long it takes to get the job done.

Agreed. Local builder of 30 years + seems happy to work towards Plan B. and is offering a degree of confidence in approach if nothing else. Whilst ICF was a clear favourite for all the known reasons we need to keep an eye on final cost. 

You are mere miles from us by the way! We did try finding a st Neots builders as thought they’d be cheaper than Cambridge but ultimately got fobbed off. Honestly it’s an expensive business round here if you can only get an estimate from a builder, be warned! Just to add we didn’t see any new build estimates come in under 300k for 160sqm for block/brick, so we refurbed the existing place which is 220sqm for a lot less, but we made compromises too & still had a VAT exemption for that refurb route.

Edited by rh2205

3 hours ago, bellski said:

Builder issues are the main problem. Plan A was wayyyyyyyyyyyyy over budget.

Also builders/contractors in my area are not so familiar with the method so looking at moving on with the build another way.

If I am honest the loss on the blocks will be nothing compared to the saving we will make compared to the ICF builders proposed cost.

I was very much looking forward to this build concept but so far costs are over budget.

Thanks

Norm

Sad to hear that you are not progressing with ICF and going to Brick/Block, I took my prospective builder to the isotex course earlier this month. He was pushing me down the traditional brick/block route but now is convinced that he can do ICF for me.

20 minutes ago, freshy said:

Sad to hear that you are not progressing with ICF and going to Brick/Block, I took my prospective builder to the isotex course earlier this month. He was pushing me down the traditional brick/block route but now is convinced that he can do ICF for me.

We actually hunted down this builder because he had experience with ICF so a no brainer, however his final budget was out of the question. It is sad as I know this would have been a better finished product. 

1 hour ago, rh2205 said:

You are mere miles from us by the way! We did try finding a st Neots builders as thought they’d be cheaper than Cambridge but ultimately got fobbed off. Honestly it’s an expensive business round here if you can only get an estimate from a builder, be warned! Just to add we didn’t see any new build estimates come in under 300k for 160sqm for block/brick, so we refurbed the existing place which is 220sqm for a lot less, but we made compromises too & still had a VAT exemption for that refurb route.

Building on site now demolished was 1870 something, no heating no damp proof, poor extensions so a nightmare to refurb. Opting for this gives us a clean slate to get what we believe we want.

yes he was the source for our builder in the first instance, Additional suggestions are south of the M25, and South West. Even asked if the supplier would buy it back, and no surprise deadly silence. 

The decision on which way we jump will be based on the quote when we get it probably in a few weeks time.

1 hour ago, bellski said:

We actually hunted down this builder because he had experience with ICF so a no brainer, however his final budget was out of the question. It is sad as I know this would have been a better finished product. 

I dont really understand. If your builder is experienced with ICF he should know the efficiencies that ICF can bring. How much cheaper does he think block and brick will be?

Or are you reducing the size of the build as well as changing the build method?

Do a quick search on the forum for bricklayers. You will read stories of teams disappearing to other jobs for better money and not returning 

Edited by willbish

1 hour ago, willbish said:

I dont really understand. If your builder is experienced with ICF he should know the efficiencies that ICF can bring. How much cheaper does he think block and brick will be?

Or are you reducing the size of the build as well as changing the build method?

Do a quick search on the forum for bricklayers. You will read stories of teams disappearing to other jobs for better money and not returning 

Sorry to confuse. Builder No. 1 ICF experienced was charging way over the top.

Builder No. 2 is proposing Block and brick.

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

+1 and even more so if you have the SE design based on the system.  Can't you get someone to quote just to build the structure?

Yes we have that as well but it not working out smoothly between new concept and traditional thinking.

We await costs to understand where traditional build comes in against what we have for ICF.

18 hours ago, bellski said:

yes he was the source for our builder in the first instance, Additional suggestions are south of the M25, and South West. Even asked if the supplier would buy it back, and no surprise deadly silence. 

The decision on which way we jump will be based on the quote when we get it probably in a few weeks time.

My supplier offered to take back any unused blocks, and then passed my details onto another bloke down the road who came and collected them, at the price I paid. 

Who have you used. 

On 26/11/2021 at 14:44, rh2205 said:

Hi , we are looking to refurb our bungalow rather than build up due to cost and interested in how you got your VAT exemption?