Log burner - irresponsible now?

Pocster

Decided we won’t have a log burner - it’s just wrong for our house and the environment ( understand perfectly though if you are non urban it’s justifiable ) . One of the very few neighbors that talks too me was only to happy to have the timber for their open fire . I have to split it and chop it up for them as they are old and most likely won’t survive the winter and a new Covid mutation ??

Edited by pocster
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Decided we won’t have a log burner - it’s just wrong for our house and the environment ( understand perfectly though if you are non urban it’s justifiable ) . One of the very few neighbors that talks too me was only to happy to have the timber for their open fire . I have to split it and chop it up for them as they are old and most likely won’t survive the winter and a new Covid mutation ??

You do realise your elderly neighbour points and says "That's the bloke that's always got wood for me!" 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, pocster said:

Decided we won’t have a log burner - it’s just wrong for our house and the environment ( understand perfectly though if you are non urban it’s justifiable )

Gong to go with bioethanol, water vapour, lcd, or just skip the fire completely?

you can get same effect at a fraction of the cost 

https://www.dimplex.co.uk/optimyst

I have had one for ten years and will  befitting a couple in my new house just for the effect 

you have to see one in the flesh to see how real the flame effect is 

thechoice is a personal one -- but the cost to supply and fit will be very different

and very green 

Edited by scottishjohn
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

you can get same effect at a fraction of the cost 

https://www.dimplex.co.uk/optimyst

I have had one for ten years and will  befitting a couple in my new house just for the effect 

you have to see one in the flesh to see how real the flame effect is 

thechoice is a personal one -- but the cost to supply and fit will be very different

and very green 

We've just fitted one, not used it yet though as not quite moved in yet.   I actually recommend these further up in this thread,  but it's good to hear from someone thats used one for a while. 

• Like 1

I’ve talked the other half out of the log burner. The house won’t need the heat so it was for the aesthetic only. While they are carbon neutral they do contribute to pollution inside and out. The new debate is whether we have any flame effect in at all. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Dan F said:

We've just fitted one, not used it yet though as not quite moved in yet.   I actually recommend these further up in this thread,  but it's good to hear from someone thats used one for a while. 

Turn it on ? . I want to know ( I assume ! ) it looks obvious it’s not a real flame .

3 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

no it is not obvious --go see one working then comment please

Yes . That’s why I was asking ! . I will obviously go and see one . I was asking for someone who has one to comment ; I did say “ I assume “ …. 

5 minutes ago, scottishjohn said:

no it is not obvious --go see one working then comment please

Which ones are you using in new build? We've used a "cassette 500 projects" ("projects" is plumbed-in version).  This one had no heating element at all.

I want to see if i can turn it on/off with a relay so it becomes part of the lighting scenes, not tried yet though. 

Edited by Dan F
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Dan F said:

Which ones are you using in new build? We've used a "cassette 500 projects" ("projects" is plumbed-in version). 

I want to see if i can turn it on/off with a relay so it becomes part of the lighting scene, but tried yet though. 

Ihave stove unit at moment -but may use one cassette type -too so0on to say yet