Gas pipework under / through slab?

Mr Punter

We are starting a project in January and I would like to run gas to 2 upper floor flats from the meters at the front, under the slab and up with the external soil pipe.

There is a 150mm concrete ground bearing slab with 150pir.  We have not got a plumber on board yet. 

What is the best way to do this run?  I would prefer not in the PIR as that is another flat.

I am considering Tracpipe, yellow plastic etc.

Do we need ducting?

Is this a job for Gas Safe plumber or groundworker?

You need a GSR installer on now, to see this from design through to execution.

3 installers may tackle it 3 different ways, but when you need it signed off at the end it’s best to have the same person or an associate perform this, so they’re familiar with the layout / methods to date etc. 
Take pics of key areas as you go, before they get covered over. 

The only bit I am currently interested in is to run the pipes under the slab.  GSR guy may not be needed until we have built the structure.  Groundworker is doing foundations, drainage, water and BT.  It tends to be we get a plumber for the whole heating, DHW, sanitary ware and kitchen plumbing part of the job.  I didn't want to go to the trouble of putting this all out to tender right now if I can avoid it.

1 hour ago, TonyT said:

Surface MI on the outside, popping into each flat?

Yes that is the plan.  I will see if I can rustle up some quotes from some vaguely competent plumbers.  Gas is a PITA but they are small 1 bed upper floor flats.

2 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

Do we need ducting?

There are rules about how gas pipes are carried through a building.

Ducts have to be ventilated in case there is any gas leak and build-up. I had this on a project where the highly professional M and Contractor didn't know it but the building inspector pointed it out. Or to be fair, perhaps we built the box-out with out discussing it. Could have been a big issue.

Probably applies to any void that the pipe goes through. There will be more, to do with the risk of damage/ differential movement.

So yes, it really needs looking at early.

Get a m&e consultant to design the installation and provide a spec,  then it can be passed on, that way everyone should be pricing the same.

get them to arrange the utility supplies too, saves a lot of grief…..   that’s what I do cause dealing with utilities is just stressful.

Edited by TonyT
  • Like 1