New member planning a detached double garage replacement/conversion

Buckers

Hi I've found this forum while researching the ICF building method.

At the start of 2020 my partner and I purchased our 1st house. A 1970 3 bed mid terrace with garden and detached double garage to the rear.

I'm here to learn as much as I can while I'm in the planning phase and then to share our journey once the build commences. That will be a couple of years off due to needing to save for it and also purchasing he leasehold (thankfully 970(ish) years left on the lease so fingers crossed it's a simple but I expect slow process). Otherwise I would need their permission to make any changes which is a layer of faff I don't want, so purchasing leasehold first is the plan.

Anyway our surveyor was of the opinion that the garage was best torn down and started again due to is terrible condition and general bodge job construction. I thought it may be worth saving but having lived with it for nearly 2 years I've come to agree with the surveyor. I'm a project manager (but not in construction) so I plan to project manage it myself when the time comes.

It was a single garage like all the other houses on the terrace which was extended to a double at some point, I guess around 20 years ago. Anyway it's the full width of the rear garden. So will be needing 2 party wall agreements and planning permission and building control approval as far as I can tell, I think it will come under outbuilding regulations rather than a garage since it's detached but I will contact the local planning office to check.

Anyway, I plan to knock it down, leaving just the concrete slab and rebuild from there but splitting it at the same time so one side is a single garage and the other is a home office/utility room.

I'm currently thinking ICF walls with a warm flat roof unless I can convince planning that a shallow pitched roof would be better. But I think I will be limited to having a flat roof and it being the same height as the existing garage roof to keep it in line the other adjacent garages visually. Anyway it's very early days I'm still researching options so preferences may change as I learn more.

Cheers,

Buckers

Edited by Buckers