What colour safety hat and thinking of a chainsaw

Hopefully will be starting in March but have been clearing trees/hedges. I

1)so that birds won't nest in them and it would be carnage if I don't

2)To save money, I can get rid of a lot with my wee trailer - guy at recycling has already said I have done a good job of filling a huge skip. The digger will obviously get the roots.

So far have been using a bow saw but so much still to do, was tempted to get this..https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttl759chn-40cm-40cc-petrol-chainsaw/995fh

Obviously will get the safety trouses and gloves. Got goggles so figured I would just need a safety helmet. Need one anyway for the self build.

Which colour? Blue for inexperienced or white because I will likely have to project manage?

2 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Hopefully will be starting in March but have been clearing trees/hedges. I

1)so that birds won't nest in them and it would be carnage if I don't

2)To save money, I can get rid of a lot with my wee trailer - guy at recycling has already said I have done a good job of filling a huge skip. The digger will obviously get the roots.

So far have been using a bow saw but so much still to do, was tempted to get this..https://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttl759chn-40cm-40cc-petrol-chainsaw/995fh

Obviously will get the safety trouses and gloves. Got goggles so figured I would just need a safety helmet. Need one anyway for the self build.

Which colour? Blue for inexperienced or white because I will likely have to project manage?

Get a chainsaw helmet with mesh guard/screen, very low cost on eBay etc.

• Like 2

How much do you have to get rid of? 

I would suggest a digger and hire a proper branch chipper if you have a lot. Don't bother with the chainsaw. 

Having seen my share of cheap petrol chainsaws I'd steer clear. They're difficult to start, heavy and invariably break. 

The mains electric ones are actually quite good if you've got power. 

I bought a husquvarna helmet with a mesh guard and earmuffs built in about 5 years ago. 

12 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

Something light and comfortable so you will be more lightly to use it. Get a colour that will stand out and write your name on it so it doesn't go missing. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Iceverge said:

How much do you have to get rid of? 

I would suggest a digger and hire a proper branch chipper if you have a lot. Don't bother with the chainsaw. 

Having seen my share of cheap petrol chainsaws I'd steer clear. They're difficult to start, heavy and invariably break. 

The mains electric ones are actually quite good if you've got power. 

I bought a husquvarna helmet with a mesh guard and earmuffs built in about 5 years ago. 

Something light and comfortable so you will be more lightly to use it. Get a colour that will stand out and write your name on it so it doesn't go missing. 

Mostly long established hedges and 4 fruit trees. Daughter is crazy about birds so really doing it to calm her down that none will be ousted by a digger.

21 hours ago, CalvinHobbes said:

need a safety helmet. 

Which colour?

One of the big questions in construction.

Wrong to have colours according to hierarchy, but sensible to mark out a banksman for easy recognition.

It should be a bright colour, and so yellow, orange  or white depending on which will show up best on your site.

Red and blue don't show up so well, and black is lunacy (for managers determined to have a different colour)

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

One of the big questions in construction

As a newby Site Engineer I sought a red helmet but it wasn't allowed. Similarly we lusted after a tartan lined donkey jacket, but that required 2 years service.

Helmets mostly used when it was raining or to hold nails back then.

• Haha 1

I worked on a site that you wore a green hat for several months to let everyone else know you were a newbie. It changed to standard white once you were familiar with site layout, exits, gas procedures, etc

this was 20 years ago seemed sensible then…

14 minutes ago, TonyT said:

I worked on a site that you wore a green hat for several months to let everyone else know you were a newbie. It changed to standard white once you were familiar with site layout, exits, gas procedures, etc

this was 20 years ago seemed sensible then…

Railways use blue hats for newbies and white after 6 months track experience

Forget the safety hat. Get a Bump Cap.

You are much more likely to wear one than a safety hat. For me, most bumps occured when the scaffolding was up.

Rain? You can get different  covers for the hat, or if you are as mean as I am,  a Lidl plastic shopping bag will do.  My wife thought it would be fun to put tea-cosy over my cap - and I stuck some gold-braid over the peak part of it - show her who's boss. 

Yeah right.

Get all the clearing done over the winter. No worries over bird nesting plus the vegetation is a lot lighter and easier to deal with. Pile it all up, let it dry a bit before dragging to the recycling centre. Or hire a chipper for a weekend.

I have the Screwfix chainsaw plus a helmet and face guard if you want to borrow it? Quote easy to use and not scary. Won't need it anytime soon. I'm in Holywood.

7 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Get a Bump Cap.

Yes get this too. They are seldom used on commercial sites as the book says use a helmet. But they are practical especially when you know that nothing can fall on you.

It keeps the muck out of your hair, the hair and sun out of your eyes. Safety-wise, they are great at protecting your head from nails sticking through roofs, and the odd bump from a batten or sheet of plasterboard that might overturn. I have trusted a small plasterboard sheet to stay in place while reaching for something, and been grateful for the cap spreading the thump.

You will wear this when a helmet would be a pain.

Get a red one and it doubles for a MAGA cap at any fancy dress.