Help on conservatory upgrade.

I have a conservatory that was built before we moved in so it's probably 20 years old and I believe it did have planning permission. It's about 6 mtr x 2.8mtr, the left wall is single brick but built touching the garage wall so I suppose is double apart from 1 or 2 courses that go higher than the garage , the right side is double brick, both walls are 2050mm high with a angled glass bit on top giving the plastic roof a fall from 500mm to 100mm. 

The front has a dwarf wall with windows and double doors into the garden. This front wall finishes at the end of the setback original garage.

I would like to build up about 200mm and put a light weight roof on with ceiling on the inside making it look more like an extension. I have dug down and have 500mm footing along the front, not sure about the side walls (would they have needed to be 1000mm deep?). I think I would like to put a RSJ across the front to support the minimal extra weight and help raise the front to ceiling height. Also the rear would need to be higher to increase the roof angle a bit as it is quite shallow.

Just looking for thoughts on building control or if I can do it under maintenance, will the right/left footings need to be 1000mm deep to use the RSJ? Any advice would be good. 

• 2 months later...

Hi, I thought I’d resurrect this topic. We have this 4.2 x 3 (internally) conservatory and considering our options now. 

As you can see from the picture, in autumn and winter, it just becomes a dumping ground. It’s a Victorian shape with two head height side walls and a couple of dwarf walls build on an angle. A local very reputable company visited today to discuss lightweight roof option. Official quote still to come but in short, getting rid of small top windows and bring wall higher, replace the rest with 2 x aluminium over the dwarf walls and joined with 3 pane bifold door. On top, ultra roof style light weight roof with 3 glazed panels. All plastered etc. for £20k - £25k. 

Thoughts?

Worth it or bring it down and build same footprint extension. Could I have flat roof with the weird hexagonal shape?

Thanks

5EBBB997-B38A-49AE-96D2-C98D9F7EDB99.jpeg

11 hours ago, gaz_moose said:

just fix wooden battens to the roof beams, slot celotex between them and cover it in that space blanket insulation tinfoil stuff then clad it in T+G pvc bathroom ceiling. 

Don’t do it like this. It would be a bodge job. The company’s who upgrade conservatory roof have had structural engineers advice and from experience have to load test the completed roof to measure deflection in window frames to get BC approval. 

even then I don’t like it. Often the foundations and floors are substandard. I’d suggest tumble it and start again as safest route.

On 04/02/2022 at 07:55, gaz_moose said:

just fix wooden battens to the roof beams, slot celotex between them and cover it in that space blanket insulation tinfoil stuff then clad it in T+G pvc bathroom ceiling. 

Not sure that’s what I want  I’m afraid to be honest. Rather do proper job than bodging it like that. The more I think about I think extension is the way forward but getting estate agent found next week to value now and if extension was build. It numbers don’t stack up, I guess we just pack our bags eventually and make a move. Thanks anyway

On 02/02/2022 at 20:29, NickK said:

On top, ultra roof style light weight roof with 3 glazed panels. All plastered etc. for £20k - £25k. 

Thoughts?

seems expensive for a roof and doors and it’s not going to be much better than what’s there. 

On 02/02/2022 at 20:29, NickK said:

Worth it or bring it down and build same footprint extension. Could I have flat roof with the weird hexagonal shape?

that would be my choice - and yes you could do any shape in GRP as a roof. You’ve got around 12 sqm - even at £2k/m you should get change from £25k for a nice extension 

Ultimately with these roof systems you pay for a quick ‘fix’ and hence the price. I think we end up with extension but nervous about paying too much and never get return on it. I’m not looking for a profit but some money back would be nice for when it comes to selling in a few years.