Very Tall Step Ladders

Ralph

I need to get a step ladder that will let me reach the apex of our vaulted ceiling which is about 4.5 meters. I'm looking at these combination ladders that would also let me use it fully opened out to reach the guttering at about 6 meters. I'm a bit confused about the safe working heights and being able to actually open the ladder out in the livign room. 

Any thoughts on the correct size to go for?

https://www.ladders4sale.co.uk/product/hymer-light-trade-combination-ladder-with-stabiliser-bar/

In my experience the "working height" specified for scaffolding is a foot or perhaps 18" optimistic. Eg you can reach that height with a paint brush but not look down into a gutter that height. 

Personally I don't like the type that extend up above the hinge. 

I have to admit I'm not keen on ladders of any type. I'm trying to avoid having the whole rigmarole of a scaffolding tower for a 10 minute job. Outside jobs I can lean the ladder against the wall which is not quite so bad.

1 hour ago, Ralph said:

I have to admit I'm not keen on ladders of any type. I'm trying to avoid having the whole rigmarole of a scaffolding tower for a 10 minute job. Outside jobs I can lean the ladder against the wall which is not quite so bad.

Hi @Ralph what is the 10 minute job you need to do , we have a vaulted ceiling planned and went to visit some friends of ours who have had one for a while to ask how they found it when It came to cleaning ,replacing bulbs etc , they had an array of various contraptions to do most things from the floor , admittedly with mixed results.

We have voulted ceiling and due to maintenance issues, we went for wall lights and side lights only.  Only issue is window cleaning, as I came off the ladder last time I tried.  So think electric window cleaner thing, on a long pole.  

Need to a long decorating pole also.

Not sure a tall step ladder would feel very stable, would need a wide base to be stable.

14 hours ago, Buzz said:

Hi @Ralph what is the 10 minute job you need to do , we have a vaulted ceiling planned and went to visit some friends of ours who have had one for a while to ask how they found it when It came to cleaning ,replacing bulbs etc , they had an array of various contraptions to do most things from the floor , admittedly with mixed results.

It's fitting some pendant lights. I was hoping that all light bulbs could be changed with a pole and a sucker but now we have these things it's a different story.

12 hours ago, recoveringbuilder said:

Vaulted ceiling’s- the bane of my life ?

we’ve just had to hire a 5.2 m tower to get up to clean windows and lights and paint the ceiling!

That's the other thing I realised last night, painting.

11 hours ago, JohnMo said:

We have voulted ceiling and due to maintenance issues, we went for wall lights and side lights only.  Only issue is window cleaning, as I came off the ladder last time I tried.  So think electric window cleaner thing, on a long pole.  

Need to a long decorating pole also.

Not sure a tall step ladder would feel very stable, would need a wide base to be stable.

9 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

Following with interest... in now realising those vaulted ceilings I have a resource going to be a pain. I'm due due start airtightness shortly...and planning in buying a tower. I have 5.2m to the apex internally. 

I am starting to think a tower may be a wise investment.

9 hours ago, Mr Punter said:

The really big warehouse type steps are really heavy and difficult to store.  Scaffold towers are awkward to climb or use on your own.

Hubby and I erecting the scaffold tower, I’m terrified of heights and that includes watching anyone working at height, of course it has to be erected next to the cathedral windows and I have to hand the parts up to him, totally crapping it in case they went through the windows ?