Electrical Supply to House

richo106

Hi

We are currently in process of planning our extension/renovation

We are looking to install a 16kW ASHP, electric range cooker and all the other general electrics within a house (as this minute no electric showers)

A builder mentioned I might need to look at the supply to my house to make sure it is 'man enough' to cope with the extra demand

Is this something people have come across before?

Many Thanks

See if there is an incoming fuse and what its rated for. What your supply can deliver varies a lot. I think the modern standard is a 100A supply but sometimes fitted with a 80A fuse. Some houses are lower. If not obvious get an electrician to advise. Fuse if there is one can be near the meter rather than the CU/fuse board.

Have you purchased the cooker yet? If your supply needs upgrading you might consider switching to an LPG gas hob on cylinders and electric oven instead. We have  Bretannia multi fuel set up. It's normally the rings that draw a lot. Ditto electric showers - a 10kW draws around 44A.

Edited by Temp

Hi

the 16KW heat pump is output rating not electrical rating.  so will probably be a 1/4 to 1/3 of that max electrically, not taking into account diversity etc. 

If you are having an ASHP, it would be inefficient to use electric heated showers.

Also 16KW is a big unit, we have a 7KW for circa 2500 ft2,  for UFH, Rads upstairs, hot water and showers.  

We also had to tell the electrical DNO, when we applied,

As Temp, said get a sparky to have a look, he will soon tell you.