Bottled LPG Cooker Hob

Coops

God, I wish I had never mentioned signing off others work.

But I have had no abuse on this topic, must be loosing my antagonist mannerism.

Can't be that hard to run a bit of unjointed pipe though a house wall.  Larger buildings maybe a problem.

Or just fit a heat pump.

If fitting solar thermal, you use compression joints.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

but what is the *rule*? There's lots of opinion but nothing definite...

~30 years of every gas fitter I’ve ever worked with telling me the same thing is good enough for me to go on.

Gas “rules” seem hopelessly open to the interpretation of DIY’ers and over-confident self-appraising buffoons a-plenty. Just deem yourself ‘competent’ and crack the (expletive deleted) on. ?.

2 minutes ago, joe90 said:

That’s what I was trying to find in a quick search on the tinternet!

I doubt you’ll find it, as I couldn’t even get definitive answers on this from the GSR themselves, ( when this came up here a while back and I found myself up against another brick wall …..)

Do your own thing, if you live alone and nobody will ever come inside your property, ever. That’s ‘OK’ apparently, but if you cause the death or destruction of someone else, you’re liable.

Why I struggle over conveying this is just utter disbelief. It would be less of a battle to move @pocster’s walk-on glazing onto a new owner.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Can't be that hard to run a bit of unjointed pipe though a house wall.  Larger buildings maybe a problem.

Through a dwelling, not just a wall ;)  

4 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

But I have had no abuse on this topic, must be loosing my antagonist mannerism.

I do apologise, I’ll get to this presently you (expletive deleted)er….?

46 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

as I couldn’t even get definitive answers on this from the GSR themselves,

If that’s the case, and the person signing the installation off is qualified then the OP has covered his ass. Sounds a bit like building regs, no definitive right or wrong but as long as the BCO signs it off it is deemed ok .

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, joe90 said:

If that’s the case, and the person signing the installation off is qualified then the OP has covered his ass.

Borderline IMO, and that’s if the installer is the one to hook up, test and commission and NOT the OP. Chain is as strong as it’s weakest link.

This is new works, not existing, so it’s illegal work for both the installer and the OP. 

52 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Sounds a bit like building regs, no definitive right or wrong but as long as the BCO signs it off it is deemed ok .

Not at all. The BCO comes to witness the works at strategic intervals, only allowing such works to be covered up / over AFTER they’ve been to visit, witness, and agree the works have been done correctly. 
Unless your GSR guy has x-ray vision then how can he say the integrity and execution of the installation is safe? Simple, they cannot.

There is no exception here sorry; GSR person 1st fixes, GSR person completes and commissions. Anything else is imagination and interpretation for justification of one’s own actions.

No sale. 

Quote BPEC

Compression fittings shall only be used where they will be readily accessible to allow the nuts to be tightened to make a sound joint and therefore, for example, must not be buried in the structure, below ground or beneath floorboard

• Like 1

Gas Pipework Jointing
Before jointing pipework the pipe ends must be cut square and deburred, especially where wheel type pipe cutters are used. Joints must be made in such a manner that they are mechanically strong, gas tight, free from internal obstruction to the flow of gas and exert no undue stresses on the fitting(s).
All jointing compounds and tapes must comply with BS 6956 or BS EN 751-1 to 3 as appropriate. Fibrous materials such as hemp must not be used with the exception of existing long screws where, in conjunction with jointing compounds, it seals the back nut of the fitting.
Copper Pipework
Capillary joints are the most popular joints used to joint copper pipework, however, it should be noted that there are some basic rules that should be followed. The correct fluxes and fittings must always be used.
Fittings must comply with BS EN1254-1 to 5 (formerly BS 864). Fittings may be end feed (Figure 1) which need solder to be applied to the joint, or solder ring (Figure 2) which has the correct quantity of solder contained within an annular ring inside the fitt

• Like 1

On 01/12/2021 at 19:52, Coops said:

Then don't 

The minority shall not create any detriment to the majority. This is an open forum for sharing information and advice for a crowd far bigger than 1. 

Rest assured, you’ll go unanswered by myself from here. ?

”Focker, out”. 

9 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

Real men braze their gas pipelines...

Only where there is vibration, or risk of other considerable or sustained local movement.

Soldered is perfectly fine for a static residential gas run, regardless of which family of gas is being transported.