Help with new system boiler/cylinder quote

NandM

I've just had my first quote of £3K labour only back for a new heating system. This is much higher than I thought it would be - but I liked the engineer and we had a good talk about the installation.   I've also had one crazy quote for £9K for the whole system by an engineer that spent barley 5 mins in the property.

Remove all old system and associated pipe work including boilers, cylinder and tanks

Fit new boiler and unvented cylinder in the garage

1st and 2nd fix pipe work for 8 radiators in all rooms which will include pipe work to be hidden behind plasterwork

Heating system is to be designed as to control upstairs and downstairs independently on separate thermostats

Reconnect hot and cold supplies for bathroom and kitchen to existing pipework where possible

Reconnect gas for existing kitchen where possible

I've had another quote back where they've included parts and labour - with a rather oversized Vaillant EcoFit Pure 630. The total quote came in at £7218 - but what cuaght my eye was the apparent cost of have two circuits: X2 circuits for heating upstairs and downstairs separate - £1,362.28

Which brings me to question the best way to set up the heating system for a two-floor three bedroom house, where one bedroom will be my home office for around 10 years. I had thought two different circuits would be the way forward - but I wonder if going the smart valve+thermostat route would be as effective and cheaper. My wife is a homemaker the downstairs needs to be on most of the day.

I should also add, I like the ides of low temp heating and am planning for oversized radiators.

So wife at home downstairs and yourself working upstairs, you are both wanting heat at same time.  So both the upstairs and downstairs calling for heat at the same time during the day and likely just the downstairs in the evening.

Low temp heating works best if left to run for a long time.

So why not use a single system, instead of two.  Have a programmable TRVs in the rooms and a master timer to switch the overall heating timings. 

Bedroom office, set times and temp to suit your work schedule, other bedrooms sets as you need, downstairs room set as you need.

• Thanks 1

I've found an installer who can start the first fix this week - but I'd like to double check the boiler and cylinder. We're a family of four with a 7 and 4 yr old. We have 11 rads and two bathrooms - we'll have a bath but it will be used only occasionally.  I'll be getting Solar PV in the near future and once this boiler dies, will be moving to a heat pump.

Do you think a 24kw boiler would be enough? I like the look of the Intergas HRE SB - well priced, good warranty without needing an approved installer and OpenTherm.

For the cylinder, 250L would probably be enough but as it's going int he garage and I have the space then I'll most likely get a Telford Tempest 300 Litre Twin Coil Solar Indirect Unvented Cylinder. Would I need to upgrade this for when I do eventually get a heat pump?

10 hours ago, NandM said:

I'll be getting Solar PV in the near future and once this boiler dies, will be moving to a heat pump.

10 hours ago, NandM said:

Telford Tempest 300 Litre Twin Coil Solar Indirect Unvented Cylinder.

Is that the right type of cylinder for your future needs?

I don't know the cylinder, but isn't it for solar thermal, not photovoltaics?