An interesing address database / mapping website.

I discovered this today when talking to someone wanting to come and measure for carpets and locating our house.

The site is https://osg.scot/portal/

That stands for the "One Scotland Gazetteer"  (read on, a similar version should be available for other nations)

So type in just your postcode (with a space) and it should list and show on the map ALL the properties on that postcode.  It certainly does for here and our new house is shown.

Each property has a Unique Property Reference number and there are also Unique Street Reference numbers.

A bit from the FAQ's on the site says

The One Scotland Gazetteer (OSG) is a land and property dataset that comprises up-to-date data, maintained by each of Scotland’s 32 local authorities. The information stems from local authority functions, including Planning, Building Standards and Street Naming and Numbering – the foundations for address intelligence.

What is the Geospatial Commission?

The GC was announced by the Chancellor of the Exchequer in the 2017 Budget and formed in April 2018.

The Commission was set up as an Expert Committee within the Cabinet Office, with the role of advising UK Government on the most productive uses of geospatial data for the wider UK economy. 

So a similar web portal should be available for the other UK nations to present this data (if you find one for your nation please post it in this thread)

Now this is of particular interest to me as I have failed several times over the last few years to get my new house onto the "Postcode Address File"  I kept hitting the brick wall that it was not registered with Highland Council and to get it registered and included on the PAF would cost me £150  but I had already found the property IS on a LOT of databases, in fact everything except the PAF.

Another snippet from the FAQ's says

Does this mean that the Address is now Open?

While the UPRN/coordinates and USRN/geometries are open, the address has local authority intellectual property, along with the postcode/posttown (Royal Mail IP).

Is there a possibility for unauthoritative UPRNs/USRNs to be created by other organisations?

The new Open UPRN and Open USRN products will prevent this. They will have the definitive source (see page on Open data for more information).

So since my property has been given a UPRN and it is not possible for unauthorised persons to create a UPRN, it MUST have been created by Highland council.  I will mention this point next time I have the "why is it not on the PAF" discussion.......

Anyway apart from the above waffle, I think this is a damned handy website as it is a much more complete address database than I have seen anywhere else so I will put it on my phone to help me finding properties I have to visit.

• 1 month later...