Replacement double glazing

Tennentslager

Called one local firm of commercial glazers who also do domestic DG, they coming next week.

House is 1964 brick semi with a small extension so 11 windows and two doors too.

Any tips on what to look out for? 

Living/dining room was replastered after the old DG was installed so reveals like in the picture.20211120_133401.thumb.jpg.018e625100eecece1871856c5c93adf7.jpg

I shall ask for a triple glazed price too.

Any views on Oak cills and trim around the reveals...?

Some have the white plastic ATM, is this a bodge or standard to cover up inevitable damage when removing the old?20211120_134023.thumb.jpg.f0b772dbce3f1ac25926a0202f467e88.jpg

The front door is a cold area because of all this glass...?20211120_133425.thumb.jpg.5b0a39b82562be06e50d2a045aaa38f6.jpg

As ever, many thanks.

Any guestimates about how much £7k to £10k maybe?

Edited by Tennentslager
Extra photo removed

You’re going to end up with thicker frames than what you have. Your plaster is going to be damaged and will need repaired.

The trims are there for a couple of reasons, too much tolerance and used to hide and or hiding crap behind them.

Don’t get triple, there’s no point and or benefit to you. Your username indicates your in Scotland so you’ll need trickle ventilation.

A decent double glazed system will give you values of 1.2W/m2K (regs 1.6). Triple glazing will give your very little in terms of energy saving. Your house is already leaking like a sieve, double will increase the comfort levels.

Check the ERC and the Uf values of the frame, the Ug for the glass, psi value for the spacer (if shown). 

If they can’t offer 1.2 or minimum 1.4W/m2K for the whole window look at others suppliers.

Ensure they are not compensating a rubbish frame with triple glazing for example to get to 1.0/1.2/1.4

Edited by craig

3 hours ago, craig said:

Don’t get triple, there’s no point and or benefit to you. Your username indicates your in Scotland so you’ll need trickle ventilation.

House still has vent bricks so of course it leaks air like a sieve...so is there any point in trickle vents?

And yes, just had COP26 in the city where they make Tennents who incidentally claimed the other week that the whole production process is powered by renewables

Edited by Tennentslager

• 2 months later...
6 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

Trade price for tonight only £11700

That would make my blood boil and be showing him the door.  My parting comment would give me a best and final quote by post valid for at least 14 days and I will let you know.

• Like 1