Plasterboard on ceiling - urgent advice needed!

TryC

22 hours ago, TryC said:

he said he is not going to add screws, if i insist on it, how will he find the joists?as i don't want him to randomly screw into the ceiling?

The plasterboard has been dot dabbed in small pieces, not the large sheets.

I'm not sure I fully understand what you are trying to say in your last paragraph. The intention was always for him to board and skim the ceiling. just didn't know he was just going to dot dab! :(

If this wasn't so potentially serious, I'd be laughing more than I am currently at this thread.

Look, get another plasterer in (or call a few if need be) and ask what their thoughts on this clown are. My guess is that they'll think you're taking the pi55, but ask anyhow. That will surely let you know what you're dealing with here.

I have never even heard of this being done before. Insanity.

Edited by Makeitstop

6 minutes ago, Makeitstop said:

If this wasn't so potentially serious, I'd be laughing more than I am currently at this thread.

Look, get another plasterer in (or call a few if need be) and ask what their thoughts on this clown are. My guess is that they'll think you're taking the pi55, but ask anyhow.

I have never even heard of this being done before. Insanity.

glad my situation tickles someone! :P

4 minutes ago, markc said:

Looks pretty sound, I would have just skimmed over it, much better than the bodge

some parts have some cracks, you see. like the photo, so I thought best to have it boarded first then skimmed.

I'll ask my original plasterer when he comes round :)

20211119_163605.jpg

Edited by TryC

Can you clarify the current status please? It appears that he originally said that dot and dab was the only way, but now has taken the plasterboard down?

I would almost certainly have kept the old ceiling in place because of the mess it would cause in removing it. Then screwing up plasterboard to the joists would tidy it all up and secure it. Then a plaster skim would sort out the undulations. 

You are still in a position to do this. If the 'builder' speaks to a mate with the slightest knowledge, he will be told that he must use screws.

The advice above is good. To summarise: Make a list of the points you want to make. You can cut and paste from here and quote 'expert advice' because that is what you have had.

Have a witness, just a friend will do, and no tech knowledge required.

Ask if he is able and willing to continue the work by screwing the board.

If he is not then sadly you must part ways and you wish him well, but it will now cost you more to get someone else in, and so there is no payment...at all.

There will follow a whine about making a  living, and at least some payment for his time /so he can pay the lads etc.  But really he is not entitled and should not be claiming to be an expert.

Male /female doesn't matter. In fact a male with knowledge might wind him up more. but a witness will make a huge difference to your confidence and his choice of response..

then write some notes on what happened and email it to your mate, or put it on here, and it is recorded.

If he says, no problem, I have made a mistake and will now do it properly.....are you happy to continue with him? 

NO upfront money or that may be the last you see of him.

* I reckon there are 3 ways to find the joists from underneath. Joist finder machine (£30), tapping, or drilling. Probably a combination of these. He should know this.

So just ask him how he knows where the joists are and one or more of these should be the response..

And good luck. Once this is resolved you will be so much happier. Never forget...you are in the right here.

16 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Can you clarify the current status please? It appears that he originally said that dot and dab was the only way, but now has taken the plasterboard down?

I would almost certainly have kept the old ceiling in place because of the mess it would cause in removing it. Then screwing up plasterboard to the joists would tidy it all up and secure it. Then a plaster skim would sort out the undulations. 

You are still in a position to do this. If the 'builder' speaks to a mate with the slightest knowledge, he will be told that he must use screws.

The advice above is good. To summarise: Make a list of the points you want to make. You can cut and paste from here and quote 'expert advice' because that is what you have had.

Have a witness, just a friend will do, and no tech knowledge required.

Ask if he is able and willing to continue the work by screwing the board.

If he is not then sadly you must part ways and you wish him well, but it will now cost you more to get someone else in, and so there is no payment...at all.

There will follow a whine about making a  living, and at least some payment for his time /so he can pay the lads etc.  But really he is not entitled and should not be claiming to be an expert.

Male /female doesn't matter. In fact a male with knowledge might wind him up more. but a witness will make a huge difference to your confidence and his choice of response..

then write some notes on what happened and email it to your mate, or put it on here, and it is recorded.

If he says, no problem, I have made a mistake and will now do it properly.....are you happy to continue with him? 

NO upfront money or that may be the last you see of him.

* I reckon there are 3 ways to find the joists from underneath. Joist finder machine (£30), tapping, or drilling. Probably a combination of these. He should know this.

So just ask him how he knows where the joists are and one or more of these should be the response..

And good luck. Once this is resolved you will be so much happier. Never forget...you are in the right here.

hi,

Yes, said dot dab was normal and OK, stuck on and would NOT come down.

ButI had to go with my gut and also all the good advice here. I think even if I asked him to screw it in, i would not feel the rest of the work would be up to standard - I'm paying for expertise, and for me to tell him to screw it in, does not constituent as expertise.

The plasterboard he stuck on with the dot dabs have now been removed. Peace of mind restored for now.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Do you have the opportunity to pull the lot down? DIY is possible with suitable PPE. Messy, but a far better job than over-boarding.

In for a penny ;) 

no, elderly people and pets live here. The house has been upside for nearly a year as it is. I asked the original plasterer today and he said no need to brander. Just plasterboard up and screwed into joists then skim :)

3 hours ago, TryC said:

no, elderly people and pets live here. The house has been upside for nearly a year as it is. I asked the original plasterer today and he said no need to brander. Just plasterboard up and screwed into joists then skim :)

Cool. Tell him to use plenty of screws!! ;) 

15 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Cool. Tell him to use plenty of screws!! ;) 

This is one of the rooms that the original plasterer did - this is the right way, right?? it sure hecks looks much better than the dot dab ceiling!

I'm still unsure if the dot guy will come back and trouble ensues...It is very unnerving.

20211122_090127.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TonyT said:

I don’t know if the picture has warped  or see fits a standard full sheet of plasterboard but screws should be approx 150mm on centre around the perimeter and I think 200mm on the inside

the ceiling curves towards the window side

• 3 months later...

Hi All!

The ceiling has finally been overboarded and skimmed!! how is this (compared to the dot dab debacle!).

In the last photo, the plasterer advised there was a bit of a deep hole there and he filled it in (with cement I think, because he filled the areas where the picture rails with cement prior to skimming), anyway, where I have circled, is the deep hole in question, is this still drying? as the rest of the room is essentially pink. It has been 2 weeks since it was done.

Should I leave it to dry some more or is it ready to be sealed?

Screenshot_20220227-105952_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20220227-105949_Gallery.jpg

20220227_110116.jpg

• 9 months later...
On 22/11/2021 at 12:05, TryC said:

This is one of the rooms that the original plasterer did - this is the right way, right?? it sure hecks looks much better than the dot dab ceiling!

I'm still unsure if the dot guy will come back and trouble ensues...It is very unnerving.

20211122_090127.jpg

Looks pretty sound!