Lead under valley tiles

Dee

I'm clueless here! I have some lead sheet, I'm laying a traditional tiled valley and I assume there must be some lead under the first row of valley /tile and a half to create water run off ? 

Advice please... Images would be even better.... Sorry to be a pain! 

It is important that you have the right profile, and it particular the side hips  -- normally the slaters will just run some battening parallel to the valley centre.  This hip both provides side support for the tile edge and gap closer to stop cross winds getting under the slates, but also act as valley sides to contain any run-off in the valley centre.

Doesn't matter.  You still need a hipped channel profile.  Also don't cut the tiles in situ.  Mark them, move them, cut them; then replace and fix them.  If you try to do this in situ, then you will invariably cut through the lead / alu / GRP (whatever you use for your valley) and have leaks as a result.

So just to get you in the loop... I'm building a hipped roof dormer. 

The cheeks will be clad with hardie planks. 

I imagine the ply, battons and cladding will overhang the tiles on the main roof below... Will I still need soakers? 

Dee, look at the link that Peter gave you.  The cross-section of the valley is a shallow V at the centre but near the top are valley walls maybe 25mm height that are vertical.  This jutty-out bit  is what I meant by a "hip"   The concrete tiles overhang this wall.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dee said:

So just to get you in the loop... I'm building a hipped roof dormer. 

The cheeks will be clad with hardie planks. 

I imagine the ply, battons and cladding will overhang the tiles on the main roof below... Will I still need soakers? 

I would think so. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

I don't think anyone is quite grasping this, the link is:

http://leadsheet.co.uk/home/lsa-pocket-guide/mitred-hip-and-valley-soakers/

follow the instructions for mitred valley soakers. You'll need some 9" code 3 lead.

I've read the link... Is it the same process for valley tiles as I'm not doing a mitred valley. A roofer told me to put lead under just the first two valley tiles but wrapping around to tiles either side 

28 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

Yes, same process and he's right just bottom two tiles. Its not really necessary to wraparound the tile either side, but your soaker should extend beyond your valley tile and have a welt if you're not wrapping it around.

Thank you! 

56 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Definitely a team effort! 

Disappointed that I had to compromise on using  clay tile and a half but I was totally defeated in my search for concrete... So long as it keeps the rain out. Enjoyed using lead, a new challenge met 

Thanks for everyone's input, could not have done it without this forum!