UFH Upstairs

richo106

We have decided to have UFH upstairs in our bungalow conversion

As this is a conversion it will have complete new joists etc so can access from either above all below

The UFH company priced (warmup) to supply aluminium diffuser plates to install it upstairs

Is this the best way to install UFH upstairs? I am guessing I will need to insulate below these plates, does this have to be pir or can it be standard rockwool type?

We are thinking of having oak/engineered wood floor upstairs and tiles in the bathrooms (2)

What is the best way to achieve this floor look? Do I lay 22mm T&G floorboards over it and then my floor covering?

All help and advice very much appreciated

13 hours ago, richo106 said:

We have decided to have UFH upstairs in our bungalow conversion

Is it driven by heat demand, or do you 'just want it'? If you're after boost heating, other options (especially air-to-air, giving you cooling in Summer) may be much better choice, also economically.

13 hours ago, richo106 said:

As this is a conversion it will have complete new joists etc so can access from either above all below

If you spec the loads properly, you can even have UFH pipes in screed. I like concept of Lewisdeck for example

Need to be very careful that the whole floor is properly air sealed, most chalet bungalows and loft conversions have bad draughts under the floor, cooling the ceiling below and the floor above , with UFH a huge amount of heat could be lost unnecessarily 

Thanks for replies, basically we 'just want it' we like the idea of no radiators in any of the rooms especially if go down the ASHP route as they would need to be oversized. We like the idea of engineered wood flooring throughout upstairs (at the minute)

My concern is would it work if we have UFH pipes, then 22 T&G flooring and then 20mm engineered wood floor? How much insulation would we need in between the joists - is 50mm PIR sufficient?

This will be a full house and not a chalet/dormer style bungalow so will have full insulation in the loft

Is there a better way to achieve this?

Thanks again

2 hours ago, richo106 said:

we like the idea of no radiators

Ok, but it does not mean you have to have UFH: you are after upstairs being warm - that's it. Depending on the house layout, use of ventilation (including MVHR) and heating required, both due to conductive and convective losses (U value and airtightness) and solar gains you may need zero additional heating upstairs. Heat carried by natural and force convection (ventilation) from downstairs plus incidental gains: you spending there 8h each day and anything DHW gives away, may as well be enough. Or even too much (there is a thread here on a bedroom overheating).

Typically you'd need to add some heat though, but then check what is practical, economical and comfortable. I suggested A2A, as it will give instant heat and instant cold (bonus over UFH), but some noise and airflow, installation is way easier than UFH. You can have electrical radiators  (or UFH) - just leave spare spurs for that. Or use fan heaters, nearly 0 investment.

Maybe skirting heaters is something that would work for you.

2 hours ago, richo106 said:

if we have UFH pipes, then 22 T&G flooring and then 20mm engineered wood floor? How much insulation would we need in between the joists - is 50mm PIR sufficient

With so much wood on top indeed not too much heat will go up. Add insulation below and not much will go down neither, so you'll end up circulating hot water - what can create new issues in itself (short cycling etc). It also will not react quickly if that's what you're after.

• Like 1

I would not bother.  Spend the money on insulation and airtightness.  Bedrooms upstairs in well insulated houses typically need almost no heating but may require cooling.  If we have an electric towel radiator on upstairs for any length of time the bedrooms overheat.